Chapter 2: A Nightmare

"Oh. . . wow." Mike says, in the least assuring tone possible.
          I could feel my heart rate speeding up.  Mike had made it sound like a fairly mediocre home.  It wasn't.  There were bags spilling out trash in the front yard, and large dents near the top of the house, as if a giant had come and tried to knock it down.  I guess I was used to this, but there was something different about this time; I was getting adopted, not 'rented' anymore.  I thought that by the time I got adopted, I would have a nice home. . . this one looked worse that most of my other homes.
          I saw a faint silhouette of an old lady in the doorway; there was only one person who lived there. 
I climbed out of the car and saw her more clearly.  She had one gray eye and one purple. I tried to contemplate how this was possible, but I decided to stay on the positive side of things.
          Right as I started walking to her, something fell out of an old, upstairs window and shattered it; a candlestick. 
           "Probably Sweetcheeks" she told me in a rather, smooth voice.
           "I thought you were the only one who lived here" I questioned her.
           "Well, I am, but I have a cat named Sweetcheeks." This time in a slightly rough, rigid voice.  "Would you like to come inside?" She asked Mike, but instead just shut the door in his face.  It's almost like she had two personalities.  I hope the bad one doesn't shine through for me.
           "You can go upstairs, and see your room.  The only door up there." She said like I wouldn't find out when I got there anyway.
            "Ok. . . what after?"
            "Just get settled, and I'll be there in a short bit.  Still the inside of the house looked like a trash bag.  Long deep scratches in the wood coming from the ceiling, I tried not to question it, but it seemed so odd and mysterious.
            I walked up the old, creepy, stairs, and when I opened the door, my mouth dropped.