Chapter 16 - Jace

JACE

I shut the door with my foot. Clary is in my arms, and kissing me. I carry her into our room and put her down on the bed. "Jace," she whispers. "When do you think they'll be back?"

"It doesn't matter," I tell her. "I love you. And I'm sorry about earlier."

"It's okay," she says. "I love you, too."

And my lips move to her neck.

|Fourtris~Meets~Clace|

She lies on my chest, touching my stomach. Her hands are warm and soft. I pull her hand up to my cheek and she caresses it gently. I stroke her red hair. "You okay?" I ask.

"Never been better," she replies. I can almost feel her smiling. "Although I am really hungry," she adds. I laugh, and balance myself on my elbows. She turns round, leaning on top of me, and kisses me lightly. "I wonder if they have peanut butter," she says, thinking.

"Well let's see," I say, and I pick her up again. She squeals.

"Let me get down!" she cries. I laugh again.

"Okay," I say. "I'll be in the kitchen." I grab my blue robe that Isabelle made me bring. It's actually pretty handy, although I won't admit that to her. She'll laugh in my face and say, "I'm always right, Jace." Sometimes she is so annoying, even if she can kill a demon with her feet. I put it on, and pad into the kitchen. The cupboards are bare, but I remember the shopping bags that Tris and Clary chucked on the floor earlier when they were running to Evelyn's.

"Oh wait!" Clary yells. "They do have peanut butter! We bought it earlier! Can you make me a peanut butter sandwich, Jace?"

"Sure," I yell back.

"Thanks! I'll be out now," she shouts, and she comes out in the outfit she wore earlier. I get some bread and rummage in the bags for the jar of crunchy peanut butter - Clary's favourite. I make her sandwich, and she takes it, kissing me on the cheek. As she eats, she rings Simon, and tells him about today's events. I go to get dressed and come back; now they're talking about Studio Ghibli and anime and mundane things that I don't understand. Suddenly, the apartment phone rings, and I go to take the call.

"Eaton residence," I say, remembering Tobias's last name. Clary is still talking to Simon but is looking at me with concern.

"It's only me," a female voice says. "Tris."

"Oh," I say. "Hi."

"Hi," she says. "I was just ringing to say we won't be coming back tonight. Tobias is looking after Evelyn. She didn't take the car crash story in the best way. I'm gonna stay with him, so you can make yourself at home. Use the food we bought this morning to get some tea, or get a takeout or something. I don't know. Anyway, sorry about that. Bye." I don't even get a chance to say goodbye.

"Okay, Simon, I gotta go," Clary says. "Tell Mom and Luke I send my love. I'll be home soon. Keep in touch. Bye." She puts her cell down. "Who was that?" she asks.

"Tris," I reply. "They're not coming home. They gotta look after Evelyn - she's not too happy about the car crash thing."

"Oh," Clary says. "That's a shame."

"Yeah," I agree, although I'd much rather be on my own with Clary.

"Although," she adds, "I do like being alone with you." She stands up and gives me a warming hug. I kiss her hair lightly. "I still love that shampoo," I inform her. She giggles.

In that moment I realise we are hardly ever alone, not like this. And I really miss those times.

"I love you," I tell her again.

"I know," she says. "I love you, too, Jace."