Chapter 2 - Clary

CLARY

The girl, Tris, has fallen asleep, leaning on the boy's shoulder. She is pretty, with blonde-brown hair and bluish grey eyes... I think. They are closed. She is slim and ivory-skinned, like me. But she doesn't have flame red hair like mine, or luminous green eyes. Being honest, I hate my looks. Sometimes I think I have the same features as a ginger cat.

Tris's partner, Tobias, is sat staring out of the window. He has deep and dark blue eyes, with short black hair and a hooked nose. One of his lips is a little fuller than the other. He is good-looking, but not handsome, like Jace. Some part of him reminds me of Simon. Maybe it's the fact that already, I've seen him blush twice in a space of twenty minutes. Simon blushed all the time when he was a human.

I know he is nervous about meeting Jace and I. So is Tris. But there's nothing scary about us... I don't think. I mean, Jace looks menacing, obviously - Luke tends to describe him that way - but he isn't freaky. Jace is just gorgeous. Golden skin, hazel eyes, blonde hair that is growing quite long - I bet Tobias is jealous. He is so beautiful. I stare at him. His eyes are closed, but he's not asleep, because he has the same smug crooked smile plastered on his face. Suddenly I see liquid hazel eyes, and they are looking at me. I feel dizzy, and stupid, like Bella from Twilight when she looks at Edward Cullen. I get the girl's feelings. You can't control the emotion when you're staring at hazel eyes.

Jace grins. "What are you staring at?" he asks.

"You," I say. His smile grows, eyes burning.

"I know, I know," he says arrogantly. "I am truly irresistible."

Tobias looks at Jace with an annoyed expression. I grin too. He leans down and kisses me softly. I take in the taste, the feel, the heat from his lips. I want it to carry on forever, but Tobias is looking at us. I pull back, and Jace looks at me sadly. I wonder if Tris feels the same desire as me.

Matthew informs us that we have arrived in Chicago. Whilst Tobias gently wakes Tris, I stare out of the window, lost in thought. I think about Chicago - a city wrecked by war between the citizens, Luke told me. Last year, the scientists built a city within their own city. It was basically an experiment, because in the city (which actually had no name) they separated the people into five groups, or factions: Amity, Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless and Erudite. Each faction had a way of acting; for example, the Candor people showed honesty and truth, therefore wearing black and white (the colour of the truth); Amity showed peace and kindness, wearing red and yellow (bright happy colours); Abnegation showed selflessness and avoided vanity, and they wore plain grey clothes; Erudite showed knowledge and intelligence, and they wore a blue sweater; and Dauntless - basically a bunch of tattooed hellions - showed bravery and strength, and they wore black. I guess Tobias and Tris were from Dauntless, because on Tris's collarbone, she has three flying birds tattooed there, although I don't know why, and Tobias has a tattoo that curls around his neck and disappears under his t-shirt.

Luke said the city within the city was demolished to nothing when the owners failed to control the experiment. A war broke out in the experiment city, and continued on until it took over the entire of Chicago. The lady that called us - Evelyn? - mentioned a Bureau of some sort; I guess that was where the owners were from. So, I guess the experiment shows that there isn't really a way to create everlasting peace in any kind of world.

Tris and Tobias have left the cab. Jace is gently pulling me out. When the cool air hits my face, he bends down and buries his face in my hair. I can hear him sniffing my shampoo, and giggle. Simon did that when we were really young. To be honest, I'm glad Jace is the one doing it right now. I love Simon and all, but not in that way - we're just friends. Plus, he is meant for Isabelle. The way they're going... Soon there will be babies and all.

"What shampoo is that?" Jace asks me. I chuckle again.

"Cocoa butter from the drug store down on East Side, a couple of roads from my old apartment," I tell him.

"I'm gonna buy that," he informs me. "It smells lovely, like you."

I lace my fingers in his, and we walk, side by side, following the others again.