Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

He took her hand up to his mouth, kissing it softly. "I have a plan tonight," he said. "I know where we're going."

"Where?"

"You'll see, Mrs Greene," he said, and she felt herself go red. It sounded so... different. A good different. Elle Greene.

"Tonight is your ovulation night," he reminded her, a small smile on his face.

"I'm glad you remembered," she teased, giving him a smile.

"Of course I did." He stood, brushing himself off. "Finished your drink?"

"Yeah."

The two of them went back to the hotel room, got dressed in moderately fancy clothes, and left off, with Drew's Japanese guiding them through the city.

They ended up at a giant Ferris wheel, the size of a skyscraper. Drew smiled at Elle. "Welcome to the Tempozan Ferris Wheel. It's an observation wheel."

"A what?"

"Basically," he said, "we can see all over the city from here. It's beautiful."

"Really?"

"I've asked them specially if we could get a compartment to ourselves. Cost a little extra, but worth it for you, my love."

"Drew, you need to stop-"

"No I don't," he said, kissing her head once. "Let's go. If we catch it in time, we'll see the sunset."

"You're insane, Greene."

"You love it, Greene," he teased, and she chuckled, taking his hand.

"I hate you," she said.

The lights of Tokyo were gorgeous from the wheel. The bright colours, the large boards, the ever-moving city, were all silent from this far up. Drew's hands were warm on Elle's waist, and she leaned into his body. "I can't believe that we're finally here," she breathed. "That we're safe."

"The world is ours," he said. "It's beautiful."

"We're here and we're here together," she said.

The two admired the view. Drew watched the falling caramel curls, the soft, beachy waves falling down her back and her soft yellow dress shimmering like candlelight, bringing out the golden flecks in her eyes. Her lashes touched her cheeks when she blinked, and her lips were just slightly parted. Drew thought she'd never looked so beautiful.

Elle admired the view too. Drew's hair, after being outside all day, was curled softly on his forehead, and his eyes reflected the silent city below them. The lights made him look younger, more like he did before everything had gone to hell and nearly killed him in the process. He looked like he was innocent. Like nothing had happened to ruin him permanently. He looked at her and his smile grew on his face, the dimples in his cheeks deep and dark. She took his hand and they watched over the city, the world soon to be theirs.

<><><><><><><><>

He watched Elle as she struggled to read the book. She had refused help too many times now, and he didn't want to ask again, but he knew she was starting to get frustrated. "H-He dint- no, that's didn't- brother to k- nock-" She sighed, resting her forehead on the book, and Drew silently sat beside her, taking the book.

"He didn't bother to knock. Just opened the door, as if the home was already his..." He trailed off when he noticed Elle looking away. "Honey?"

"I wish I could read properly," she said quietly.

"You can read properly," he said gently. "It's harder than it looks for you, and we all know that."

She shrugged, standing and walking to the bed. "Stupid book, anyway," she muttered. "Infanticide is stupid. Everything's stupid. I'm stupid."