Chapter 24

"Astera!"

The lovely vampire ignored him as she whipped through the trees. Astera vaguely registered the sounds of snapping branches and crushed undergrowth as Tether ran after her; he had always been less graceful than her, especially when he was stressed. The familiar trees of the forest that loomed up around her twin's home seemed ominous, even in the bright sunlight and sweet-smelling air.

Astera pulled her hood closer around her face. Her gorgeous face was strained, and she didn't notice the branches and leaves that grabbed at her exposed skin. Why had no one contacted her, why had she been left in the dark...?

She inhaled sharply as something bowled her over. Astera and Tether came crashing through the undergrowth, making a trio of robins take to the air screaming. Astera hit the ground hard, sending up tufts of grass and clumps of dirt.

"Get off me, you fool!" She snapped, struggling to make her way out from under Tether.

"No." Tether looked down at her, a vein in his jaw jumping as he clenched his teeth. His sweet breath fanned over Astera's skin as he locked her wrists in his iron grip. "Astera, we need to talk about this."

"What is there to talk about?" Astera gave up on struggling, glaring up at the shifter as she fell still. Tether's ponytail draped over his shoulder like a silky black ribbon, and its end tickled her skin. "There'll be answers at that house, we can talk then - "

"But what if those answers aren't what you're hoping for?" Tether interrupted. His face was firm, but his eyes were sorrowful. "What if you find out he's dead, and that there's nothing you can do about it?"

Astera flinched at his words. "I'll cross that bridge when I get there." She said through gritted teeth. "But it doesn't change the fact that I need to go to that house."

Tether stared down at her, his shoulders tense as he held himself above her. He cautiously let go of one of her wrists, and when she made no move to escape, his large hand went up to gently cup Astera's cheek. Her face crumpled at his touch, and Tether sighed.

"Love, I need to know you're ready." He said softly. "I need to know that you've steeled yourself for the worst. I wouldn't want to see you how you were after your mother's death - I know Apollo wouldn't either."

Astera's face was anguished, and she turned her head to the side anxiously. "I never dreamed I would have to face this one day." She whispered. "He was always so strong and invincible, Tether, how did this happen?"

"I know, love, I know." Tether's thumb stroked soothing lines on her cheek. "But you can't just go barrelling over there without knowing what to expect. You need to brace yourself, so that you're not as broken as before."

Astera laughed weakly, her eyes glittering with bitter tears. "You speak as if my brokenness was a thing of the past." Her voice was ironic, and hoarse. "I was never put back together, my Tether, so there's no way I could be shattered any more than I already have."

"Broken pieces can be broken into smaller pieces." Tether told her gently. His brilliant purple eyes were soft as he looked down at her. "Do you know how much it would ruin me to see you like that? I'm worried for you, love, and I'm not at all ashamed to say that it's for selfish reasons."

Astera smiled sadly, shaking her head at him. "I always told you that love is selfish, Tether." She paused her eyes fluttering as she fought her rare tears back. "His love was never selfish." She whispered. "He loved me unconditionally, even when I was being so selfish. How could I let things end like this, Tether? I never told him just how much he meant to me."

"Well, you were never one for sentimental words." Tether replied. "I think he always knew, though. If you truly hated him, you wouldn't have left traces for him to find you by, have you ever thought of that? He thought of you every day, Astera, and I think that annoyingly smart head of his could piece together how you felt about him by himself."