Chapter 13 : King Theoden

We ride across the plains of Rohan, it has been a long journey for us to reach here but if what Gandalf says is true, we have probably arrived just in time. We rode through the night, to which I strangely enjoyed. Probably in relief that I'm finally free of those Orcs to travel on horseback again. Or any other way for that matter! I'm not tired either after whatever Gandalf had done to me, which is a plus side because it would have taken me days to get back to how I am normally.

We come to a stop to look at Edoras which lies not too far away across a flat plain.

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Theoden, King of Rohan...who's mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Theoden is now very strong" Gandalf explains to us, beginning to ride towards Edoras "Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here...and Ivy?"

"Yes?"

"Do your best to hold your tongue" Gandalf says sharply.

I groan "Eh, yes sir."

We ride through the wooden gates, up a long rocky hill. A flag with the King's symbol falls to the ground by us as we ride in, only adding to the effect of how slowly he seems to fall apart. The sound of our horses' feet echoes on the stone road through the silent town, causing eyes to look in our direction. People stare and whisper, as usual, they keep their distance unsure of the new strangers that have arrived in their home.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard" Gimli states with a grunt.

"At a funeral even" I add.

We climb off our horses, leaving them to stand and graze off whatever grass is about. We begin to walk up the stone stairs towards a large stone Hall where the King will await our arrival. A man dressed in full Armour, whom I imagine to be captain of the guard, walks out of the doors with guards following close behind him in a hurry. They don't appear to be welcoming, just as Gandalf had told us before.

"I cannot allow you before Theoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame...By order of Grima Wormtongue" The man states. Gandalf nods to us, indicating that we should hand over our weapons. I press my lips together as Gandalf gives me a look of daggers that says, just do it and don't you dare say anything! I hand over every weapon I have on me, smirking at Gandalf as I do so in a mocking manner of innocence.

"Your staff" The man presses.

"Hm," Gandalf looks at his staff as if not knowing it was there "You would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

The Captain looks worried for a moment, as though knowing that he shouldn't let Gandalf keep his staff but not wanting to press the matter. He turns in one swift motion and leads us forward not speaking another word. Gandalf winks at us, holding onto Legolas' arm as though he cannot walk to his best ability. The rest of us following close behind.

We enter the hall where a man, whom I presume is Grima Wormtongue, sits beside King Theoden. He wears a fur black coat; his pale skin and deep blue eyes give me a subtle discomfort and unease. He whispers something into the King's ear as if feeding him information. I smirk to myself as I realise his last name is Wormtongue, how ironic.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late...King Theoden" Gandalf says in a calming voice. As we walk a menacing group of guards follow behind, looking edgy and doing nothing to hide that. I stick close to Aragorn feeling safer in numbers, still not feeling one hundred per cent confident to fight again yet.

Grima whispers into the King's ear once again "Why should I welcome you...Gandalf Stormcrow?" the King, who looks old, grey and tiresome says, looking to Grima for an agreement to his words.