Chapter 2

------------------------------

I TOTALLY screwed up my exam today, if I don't get enough points I will have to do this year again but then in back in the Netherlands. Which would be absolutely awful. And it would've cost a lot of money.

~

Wednesday night I am for once on time, without having to run. I was scared I would ruin my make up if I did.

I first see Jos Verstappen step into the restaurant. I rush towards them, asking if I can take their coats. All of them tell me no. So I walk back to the bar to get their menu cards.
Once I'm done handing out the menu, my boss walks in.
"This is your last shift." And then he walks to the table I am serving. The Verstappen table. He talks to them for a moment but they are quiet when I arrive with their drinks.

"Have you decided what you would like to eat?" I ask while I am nervously fiddling with my pen.

"Yeah," Jos says and sums up what he'd like. Max smiles reassuring at me as he tells me his order. When I got it all written down I walk towards the kitchen to pass it on to the chef.

I felt really upset, I did not have a job anymore. Why did I get fired though? I didn't understand the reasons of my boss yet. He had to explain them for me. I won't leave for no reason.

The moment I put plates on the table, my boss lets out a loud sigh. Like I am doing it all wrong. I get unsure of what I am doing and feel my heart rate going up. This is extremely embarrassing, seeing it is also in front of the Verstappen family.

I am walking towards the back of the restaurant as I suddenly feel a hand grab my arm. I turn around and stand eye to eye with Max.

"Uh hi," I shyly say and he chuckles.

"Hey, It was Emilia right?" I look at him, confused. "How do you know my name," I ask, I already feel a blush creeping up on my cheeks.

"I have my ways," Max says and he takes a step closer to me. "I am so sorry that your boss is such an asshole to you," he tells me, making me giggle.

"But I actually wanted to ask you something," He says, I look up into his blue eyes and hold my breathe. I nod suggesting for him to go on. He shakes his head, as if he was doubting himself.

"Can I have your number?" I am shocked by his blunt question. "I-I have to think about it," I stutter. "That is alright, you can always write it down on the bill," he tells me as he winks. "Yeah," I say thinking about it already, he lets go of my wrist and walks back to his table. I can still feel his warmth, I feel it linger on my skin.

I quickly walk to the staff bathroom and call Eliza."El I-I, V-Verstappen just asked for my number."
"WHAT?!" She screams into my ear.

"You obviously gave it to him." I stay silent and Eliza realizes I didn't. "If you don't, I will come down there personally and hand it to him," Eliza tells me and I giggle. "Okay, I will give it to him. But isn't it a bit weird. I do not know him at all," I say and I can hear Eliza sigh.

"Honey, for gods sake, you have a crush on him. Why not?" I nod and realize she can't see me. "You are totally right, but I should probably get back to work now," I say. More to myself than to Eliza. We both say our goodbyes and I end the call.

I walk back into the restaurant with a grin plastered on my face. Max Verstappen asked for my phone number. And I do not care that my boss fired me right now.

When the moment of the bill comes, Jos Verstappen pays by a colleague of mine. I walk towards Max. "Here." I put a small piece of paper with my phone number in his hand, my cheeks scarlet red. I normally don't do this. But Max isn't a normal guy. That is for sure.

~

I ask my boss why he fired me. "I heard you spilled ice tea on Max Verstappen and I know you are almost always late." "But don't you have to give me a warning first?" I ask him and he chuckles. "No, I do not. As I know that you called in the staff bathroom." I grimaced, Lina told on me, I am sure. We have a strong feeling of dislike for each other. Or you could say we hate each other. I can see why she wants me gone. I'd want her gone too. "But that was after you said this was my last shift!" He just shakes his head.

"Did you get any of the things I just said?" My boss asks me, I shake my head. He lets out a sigh. "You can hand in your clothing next week and then you'll also receive your last paycheck. I feel really upset, I am jobless. I screwed it up for myself.

"Yes." And with that I grab my coat and walk out of the restaurant.