His steps vouched for his irritation as he walked in corridor. He didn't know what was going on but whatever it was, it was some plotting. Someone was plotting against him and her. He had completed all his tasks sincerely honoring the words of Colonel but now he couldn't see sense in it. 

"What's wrong, young man?" Harshad asked Manik as he joined him in his anger-march. 

"I have been calling and chasing you since minutes. Where are you lost?" Harshad said wrapping his arm around Manik's stiff neck. 

"I am in no mood to talk, Harshad. Leave me alone," Manik's voice had curt clarity. Harshad knew it very second how something was off with his guy. 

"You didn't get consent, did you?" Harshad guessed the obvious. 

"I said leave me alone for sometime. There is no need of you knowing everything all the time. Stop being a gossip-monger," Manik snapped irrationally. Harshad halted in his place. His temper had shot for sky for sure but then he knew it wasn't the time. He kept looking at Manik's disappearing figure with a frown. 

_____________________

Mrs Singh served Colonel dinner and took the seat next to him. Dining area was mildly lit and silence was suiting the set up. 

"How's your knee now?" Colonel Singh asked his wife to start a conversation. 

"Still paining," She answered as she got up to refill the water jug. 

"I am sorry I am just so busy these days and couldn't even accompany you to orthopedist," Colonel said guiltily. He didn't hear his lovely wife returning any word. She came back with water and sat quietly to finish her food. 

It was routine since few days. She had stopped talking to him ever since he had become someone she didn't know. She finished her meal in peace and disappeared for few minutes till she returned with her overcoat. 

"Don't forget to put the dishes in basin. I am going for a walk," Mrs Singh informed collecting her gloves from counter. 

"Wa..wait," Colonel spoke irately. He was hurt, it was an understatement. 

"Let me finish, Sahiba. I am almost done," He said almost stuffing last bite into his mouth. 

"I don't get this cold war," He mumbled putting the dishes in basin. He looked at his wife who was standing at door with her arms folded across her chest. Her eyes were gazing the night lawn. He mumbled some inaudible accuses before he walked to the door. 

Their stroll ended up being another sting. It was painfully quiet and cold. Sahiba's steps were precise even though her knee hurt pretty bad. She had a message in everything she does these days. Her husband had proved to be a paradox. She was somewhat doubtful that's why God didn't give them kids. She had overthought and she guessed she had reasons. Colonel was mercilessly cruel with Manik and Nandini. He had turned the whole scenario into a war-zone. She couldn't believe how he was behaving that ruthless with girl whom he had cradled in arms as a child. 

"You are taking it too far, Sahiba," Her husband's absurd words brought her out of her thoughts. 

"I am sure," She replied curtly. 

"Why can't you understand that I am doing it for both of them," He said tiredly. 

"Really?" Sahiba asked sardonically. Her chuckle pricked Colonel's heart. 

"Of course yes. Manik has a future ahead of him and mind it..mind it how he has nothing and no one beyond this service. He will have to take his aim seriously rather than becoming a prey of cheap tricks of Madhav," Colonel spoke fervently.