Chapter 3 - Edited Once

Thank you FSALZAABI for the amazing cover, it's beautiful as always ★

Stella

(Edited once)

I felt the adrenaline rush through my veins as I felt my body get hot, but I did not feel tired. I wanted to get as far away as possible from Raymond's dull and toxic world. I was running for a long time, and his bastard friends gave up chasing me at some point. It was solely Raymond and me in the cryptic and dark forest. 

"Stella, if you don't stop right now," Raymond started threatening with a breathless tone.

I cut him off before he could finish his threat. Still, I did not stop to look behind me because I did not want to trip and fall into his violent grip again. "You will what? Raymond, what could you do more? Slap me? You've done that. Kick me? Every single day. Punch me and knock me out? You can scratch that. Make me bleed? Starve me? Old news. What else can you do, Raymond? You were planning on using my body for your benefit! You can't get any lower than that!" I was shouting at the top of my lungs, with tears cascading down my face. 

I stopped talking and kept ongoing. I did not get a reply from him, just heard the increased pace of his running. He was determined to catch me, and I was more determined to escape. I ran faster and finally spotted a big house in the middle of the woods. It was beautiful, but what drew me in was the lights. They were on, and the hope resurfaced. I believed my salvation was waiting for me inside. 

I did not waste a second and headed toward the house.

I quickly glanced behind me and saw Raymond trip over a rock. He looked pathetic, but I was in no position to laugh. I barged into the house with heavy pants. It took me a second to realize that more than a dozen men, maybe 20, were cautiously staring at me. All reason flew out of the window as I did not care, I closed the door behind me and sat on the floor. 

"Please help," I whispered. My fate was in their hands as I had no power to run anymore. They stood up and walked towards me. Conflicted emotions were visible on their faces, and I understood their confusion because I would be frightened if a random girl entered my house without warning.

"What's wrong?" one of them asked as he kneeled down in front of me. "Who are you?" he asked again as worry was apparent in his dark brown eyes. When I was about to answer his questions, the door swung open by an enraged ugly Raymond. 

I quickly stood up and stepped closer to the men. They were strangers, but they surely would not join my brother's abuse because the one who talked to me was genuinely concerned about my well-being. For some reason, I felt safe. Secure. Or... they could be human traffickers playing nice.

Raymond was holding a huge rock and raised it as he spotted my shaking form. "Stella, you fucking bitch!" he approached me with hatred shown in his eyes. I immediately closed my eyes, preparing for the dreadful blow. However, nothing happened. 

I forced my eyes open only to see a tall, muscular man standing in front of me, shielding my body. He protected me with a bronze tray, which shoved the rock from my way. The sight was comical, yet I did not react.

"What do you think you are doing?" my protector asked Raymond angrily. It was the first time someone showed such anger for my sake and not at me.

Raymond looked at him for a second, then at me, and I put on my tough face. "She's my sister, I want her home," he replied. I gagged at his disgusting untruthful words. He was dead in my eyes.

I let out a laugh, but it was not humorous at all. "Sister? I think we have established that already. Home? What home? You never viewed me as your sister, you were about to sell me, for God's sake! I will never consider that building as my home. Leave me alone." I yelled, feeling the rage rise inside of me. I used to scream in my head whenever I was overwhelmed by the beating, but never aloud. Raymond being outnumbered gave me strength.