Future Fungus Part 1

Start from the beginning

Sadly the mother died soon after the birth of her last pup, Lupin. At first we did think he was dead with his eyes closed, which is normal, but it did also look like he was not breathing so just imagine my surprise when I saw the tiny pup start to wriggle about and make little noises.

Between me and Abby we made the decision that he could not be put back through the anomaly because without his mother to protect and teach him he would not last long so that is what led me to being here with the two month old pup. We had some hit and misses with the little one but luckily managed to keep him alive.

I remember the options of care we went over: from using a surrogate family of wolves to putting him down all together. But it was all soon decided when he opened his eyes a week or so, later. I decided I wouldn't let anyone do anything to hurt him and would look after the pup myself.

A few days later I found myself becoming like the mother wolf to him. I researched further and refreshed my knowledge of wolf husbandry since we couldn't know how it was like for direwolves and that was the next best thing.

Soon after he started moving about I discovered that even the prehistoric, less evolved, direwolf had the instinctual ability to imprint on an object or organism that wasn't its species.

And when I say imprinting I don't mean the hocus pocus Twilight imprinting. I mean the scientific discovery that an animal will instinctively make the first thing it sees at birth its source of protection, sustenance...Basically its mother.

Even with how adorable that is, it is a massive problem because the little thing struggles to be around other wolves, which we found out about when Lester ordered we at least try a surrogate family. That is a problem because now we have no hope of having him learn some of his wild behaviours naturally.

Another problem with this is because the pup is being reared by humans it will sexually imprint which means it will think of itself as a human because it was brought up by one since he has no sense of self like humans and few other animals do.

This isn't good because when matured and looking for a mate he will look for what he assumes he is, a human, in said mate and if paired with a wolf will probably freak out.

I, soon after the wolf family incident, had to explain how since I was the first thing the pup saw and recognised as protection, in his eyes, I am his mum.

And since then I've been keeping him with me at my house. Well that was until Connor started to stay, with Sid and Nancy. The two species from different times wouldn't be able to coexist together so Lupin has been staying in the animal unit office, without Lester knowing.

Even though the space is anything but natural he seems to enjoy it more than enough. Having free reign of the large office to practice his running and playing keeps his spirits high.

My smile widens when I open the door to the unit and see Lupin on his back playing with a pinecone I brought in for him yesterday. As soon as the door opens he drops it and comes scampering over. Being around two months old now he has started growing his adult fur and is almost completely weaned off of milk and onto softer meats.

He starts yipping and nudging my legs wanting to be picked up and fed his milk still not completely used to having to eat meat. Rolling my eyes, I kneel down in front of him and start scratching his scruff the way he likes it. His tongue wags out and he closes his eyes. It really surprises me how he has some major similarities to today's wolves and even dogs.

Even with the things in common, it is obvious Lupin isn't a normal wolf pup. He is bigger and differently proportioned to modern wolf pups his age.

"Are you ready for some breakfast?" I ask as he starts to get excited. Standing back up I walk the short distance to the fridge where we hold different meats for feeding the carnivores.