11

In the dining room at the inn, Emily was sat at a table tasting soups as Lorelai and Sookie stood next to her watching.

"Haven't you already tasted that one, mom?" Lorelai said annoyed.

"Mmm.." Emily said sipping it.

"Twice. You've tasted that soup twice." Lorelai said.

"You're keeping a running count?"

"Yes." Lorelai said.

"The women in my DAR group are very picky. When the pate at the meeting Heddy Cubbington organized was slightly less chilled than appropriate, she was ostracized for a month." Emily exclaimed.

"Right..." Lorelai rolled her eyes.

"Lorelai..." Emily sighed.

"Fine..." Lorelai sighed. "Just decide in this calendar year at least please."

"Hey...uh...the mushroom is a great choice." Sookie said giving her another bowl. "It's super popular, and it's my Jackson's favourite."

"Whose?" Emily asked.

"Jackson, my fiancé." Sookie explained.

"Oh, you're getting married?" Emily asked.

"To the best man in the world." Sookie smiled.

"Oh hey, while we're on the subject, bridesmaids outfits?" Lorelai asked turning to Sookie.

"Ooh, I'm way ahead of you. I've already got a couple of ideas." Sookie nodded.

"Is one of them having me design and make them so I don't secretly hate what you pick and then harbuor a secret grudge against you for the rest of our lives?" Lorelai asked.

"It is now." Sookie laughed.

"I'll do it!"

"We're a good team." Sookie grinned.

Just then Charlotte appeared in the room. "Hey mom? Michel told me to tell you that fellow is on the phone from the restaurant." She smirked.

"Who?" Lorelai asked confused.

"In Michel's word, the flannel man with the protruding ankles." Charlotte grinned.

"Luke had to talk to Michel. Poor him." Lorelai grinned.

"Yep. I think I could hear some swear words being said." Charlotte grinned.

Lorelai laughed. "Ok thanks." She said starting to walk off.

"Where are you going?" Emily asked.

"Uh...to talk to Luke." Lorelai said.

"Can't you call him back?" Emily asked.

"Just keep tasting mom." Lorelai said before leaving the room with Charlotte following.

"Lorelai!" Emily exclaimed. She then turned to Sookie. "Is she always this scattered?" She asked.

"She's the stablest person I know." Sookie said.

"That's very sad." Emily said.

Lorelai walked over and picked up the phone. "Hey Luke!"

"Hey." Luke said. "How's it going?"

"Pretty good. How's things with you?" She asked.

"Oh, not bad. Dropped some eggs." He said.

"Bummer." Lorelai said.

"Hazard of the business. Am I catching you at a bad time?" Luke asked.

"Oh, no, it's kind of slow here. So slow, in fact, that Michel and I were about to get the tetherball out." Lorelai joked.