"Where are we going?"

"To your ranch," he says in a tone that suggest I already knew.

"But what of the others? How will they know where to come?"

"They won't."

"We can't just leave them!" I protest, marveling at how curt he can be and at such a time like this. There's some underlying reason that's unknown to me. I'm determined to figure out his antics.

"We're not. Braiden is almost at the safe house. Seth and Mito will arrive sometime late tonight or early in the morning. It just depends on how much trouble they run into on the way."

My stomach twist in pain as I can only imagine the possibilities young Seth and Mito can face.

A wave of emotion hits me as we roll into my ranch. Everything is becoming too much to hold. I know I am to reach my breaking point sometime soon. One can't go on forever.

We pass by my empty grandparent's house making our way to my empty father's. Everything now in my possession.

I look into the house, seeing the lights that were left on. I still cannot fathom how such a thing can happen in our generation. I pull the door open making my way into the heated house. I walk through the entryway into the kitchen. Passing the dining room, making my way through the living room to the gun case.

I gently run my hand across the dark glossed wood, examining the guns through the glass. My breathing stops as I feel a warm hand placed on my shoulder.

"Carruthers," Shane softly calls from behind. I turn looking to his face. My breath comes out shaky. My eyes glaze over, making it hard for me to see, or think. I push by Shane making my way across the house and into my father's bathroom. I slam the door, locking it behind me. As I slide to the floor, I can feel the coolness of the tile seep through my jeans.

I rest my head against the back of the door staring at the ceiling. I let out a deep, shaky breath, tears sliding down my cheeks. I close my eyes trying to make sense of this whole mess. At such a time like this I find it hard to stay strong in my faith. Who could, if they were in my position? Who knows? Only God himself.

I hear a gentle knock from the other side of the door. "Let me in, Carruthers," Shane calls from the other side. But I ignore him, I don't want him to see me like this. I feel as if I must stay strong in front of him. Show him that I can make it, that I can stay up to his speed. "Carruthers, please. I'm not afraid to break down the door." Still I won't answer to his importunities. "Damn it Carruthers! You know I will." I do, but I can't bring myself to stand and unlock the door. "Stop pushing me aside. You can't keep doing this. Acting like you're perfectly fine when you're dying inside. Let me be what I am, your friend." Finally, he breaks through my haze.

 I move from the door, unlocking it so that he may enter. I glance up through my tear filled eyes, trying to read his expression. He comes towards me, bending down to my level. The room has become dark as the sun has set. I am thankful that it has, therefore he can't see my face fully. But I underestimate how much he can see.

Taking hold of my face he presses his course, callused thumbs underneath my eyes. In a tenderly motion that is unlike him, he sweeps his thumbs from my eyes to the edge of my cheek bones.

"It's okay to cry in front of me, Carruthers. You don't have to be strong all  the time," he whispers, his hot breath grazing across my face.

"But I do," I protest. "I have to, there's something bigger out-"

"Hush," he demands, starring into my eyes. "What's going to happen if you're not strong for a moment? What are you so afraid of? Death?"

"No."

"Then what? Please, help me to understand so that I may help."

"If I'm not strong for one moment I risk losing everyone left that I care about. Braiden, Seth, Mito and you. I can't lose-"

"Stop. All of this is happening for a reason. Your still being tested here on earth. God is testing us all."

"How can you speak of God? You don't know Him."

"But I want to . Now, here, everything that is happening, has  opened my eyes. Can't you see? I want to let God into my heart."

"It has opened your eyes, yet closed mine."

"Carruthers, how can you say that? You must stay strong in your faith. Especially at a time like this."

"At a time like this, I shouldn't be here! And yet I'm the one left behind!" I arise from my current position on the floor. Filled with rage I grab the knife at my side, slinging it across the room. I hit the mirror, shattering it to bits.

His warm hand comes into contact with mine, grasping it. I snap my head in his direction, my eyes sharp as the glass shards strewn across the room. He kindly tugs my arm down leading it to my side.

"Stop this. It's nightfall," he quickly points out. "We mustn't bring any attention to ourselves." I know he is right. Now is the time to get my act together and keep my guard up.

I run out of the bathroom, to each window and door, making sure everything is secure. I flip the heater off, knowing it is to get cold later in the night, we need no unnecessary noise, though. Shane makes his way around the house, flipping off the lights while gathering blankets for the cold.

I meet him back in the living room. We both sink into the coffee bean, leather couch. The comfort it brings relaxes me. I sigh in contentment, the only part of the day that has been, alright. I'm still rigid by the thoughts of what is to come. The long journey that still lies ahead of us.

"Which room should I take for the night?" Shane asks, while moving near me.

"Whichever you please," I reply taking a blanket from him lying it across our legs.

"You don't mind?"

"No. I don't think I'll be able to sleep anyhow." I couldn't go into either room anymore, risking being plagued with memories. Memories that I haven't the strength to deal with now.

"I understand."

I glance over at Shane, looking to him. I can hardly fathom how I came to have a friend such as he.

I notice a small, black square in his hand. I can vaguely see the gold letters gleaming from the moonlight, inscribed across the square. "What's that?" I ask in wonder, but have a pretty good idea of what it is. I just can't believe that he would being holding it.

"The Bible," he replies. But instead of using an ashamed voice he sounds proud. A smile spreads across my face. I thought this day would never come. It's a shame to have something as bad as the situation we are in now for him to reach the light. But I rather it happen now than never.

I watch as he mirrors my smile, pulling me closer. He spreads another quilt across our bodies before opening the Bible. It seems as though he knows what he is doing, although I imagine he has never touched a Bible in his life.

I yawn, my head placed in Shane's lap, as he soothingly plays with my hair. Normally I wouldn't be letting him touch me, but I need and cherish the comfort it brings. He continues reading by the light coming from the window above us.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you, not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future.'" His deep voice carries into my ears. I slowly let my eyes settle shut. I hadn't been able to fall asleep. The sound of his voice and the words he reads puts me at ease. Gradually, I drift to sleep, by the rhythmic lullaby of Shane's voice.