Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

In an attempt to stay calm I take in a deep breath. Slowly, I extend my sweaty hand, grasping my gun that lies in the corner of my room. The still running motor of Shane's bike outside, breaks me form the haze I have fallen into. I slowly walk out of my home, realizing this is the last time I am ever to see it. I take one last good look of my home trying to brand every detail into mind.

But I shouldn't want to at a time such as this. No, I wish to remember it as it was before all this chaos happened. I shut the door making my way down the concrete steps. I push all my present thoughts aside, I know now is the time not to break down. I must stay strong. I can, I've always been good at pushing emotions out of play. Until someone looks at my face. I can lie all I want, my words sounding like truth. My downfall is when someone who knows me well reads my face. My expression is all the words they will ever need.

"Are you alright?" Shane asks, worry lacing his words.

"I'm just shaken, is all," I reply trying to hide the lie. The truth is that I'm not just shaken, I'm completely past shaken. I'm emotionally unstable at this point. But I will not cry in front of Shane. Not here, not now, not ever.

Slowly, I climb onto the back of Shane's motorcycle, trying to situate myself. Gently, Shane squeezes my knee, craning his head to look at me. Shit, he has to look. He searches my eyes, reading me. "You're fine. We've trained for this, remember?" he reassures, starring deep into my eyes emphasizing his point.

"Come on, let's go," I press on, breaking the eye contact.

"Are you sure?" Shane asks, still flustered about me. I can't stay, not any longer. If I do, I'll never leave.

"Go," I faintly whisper, wrapping my arms around his torso. He revs the engine twice, before pulling out into the street. We hurriedly make it to the next town, and onto his ranch.

As the bike pulls to a stop, I jump off. I fling the door open, gathering up necessities that are needed for our long, strenuous journey.

"Take Mito to the Hungry Moose, Seth is waiting there for him," Shane instructs as I slide a knife into my belt. "I'll meet you there." He turns towards me throwing the keys in my direction. With stealth I catch them heading for the door.

"Mariano, let's go," I yell, wondering where his is.

"Carruthers," I hear Shane call after me as I push Mito towards the truck.

"Yes?"

"Be safe," he gently says, while softly pushing me through to door.

I slide into Shane's Chevrolet, pushing the keys into the ignition. I zoom past Shane and back onto the highway, Shane tailing slowly behind.

The ride remains silent as Mito and I make it into town, towards the Hungry Moose. I pull the truck into a small slot beside Seth's mustang. I hop from the cab letting Seth take control of the truck.

I watch as they leave, heading down the road towards New Mexico, to the huge underground military base, also known as 'The Safe House' that my grandfather and father funded for. A little renovation, the latest technology, and massive training facility loaded with all the weapons one can imagine, and there it is, located on a smaller portion of a huge ranch that we or shall I say I own.

I take in a deep breath, fighting off the urge not to break down. Moments after Seth's and Mito's departure, Shane slides his bike in beside me. I wrap my legs around the seat, holding onto his dark jacket.

"We're not going all the way to New Mexico tonight, are we?" I ask, towards Shane's ear as my hair whips into my face.

"No." He replies quickly.