Introduction from Greg Carrico

Why a Ripper Anthology?

Is it strange that I love to be scared? I seek out films, books, events, theme parks... any sort of entertainment that might give me a good fright. Two of the most rewarding "scary" experiences of my life have been in my favorite city, London. One was a stage production about man who was in an asylum, but he didn't actually know that he was in an asylum. I wish I could recall the title, because it was brilliant! Alas, I can't even find it on Google now.

My other scary London experience was a different sort of scare. It was more the creepy chill of knowing that the horrifying stories I was hearing were all true. My wife and I went on a Jack the Ripper tour. The guide was exactly what he should have been, just enough drama, just enough showmanship to bring the terror of 1888 Whitechapel to the same streets almost a century and a half later.

As I write this, I have done that tour three times, including a very memorable one I got to experience with Shaun and our friend Wayne while attending the 2016 London Wattcon. On our way to that tour, I was dumbfounded to learn that my Ripper story, Undone, was a finalist in the TNT Network's horror story contest.

To celebrate, we visited the site at the foot of Tower Bridge where Undone takes place and recorded a quick video. (I'd show it, but it got a bit bonkers) 😊

Later, Shaun wrote a Ripper story, Just Jack. And I loved it. If you haven't read it, go do that right now. I'll wait...

See? It's Killer, right?

Recently (it seems like a few minutes ago!), I said something to Shaun like, "Wouldn't it be fun to do a Ripper Anthology in time for Halloween?"

Now here we are, with a bunch of super-talented talented writers, who are also good friends, putting our mark on the Jack the Ripper mythology for your Halloween reading enjoyment.

Now you know how this all came about. All that's left is to check back as some awesome authors share stories that will Rock your face off!!

All the best

Greg Carrico