Part 13

~Yugi's POV~

"When did reading get so hard?" I muttered to myself trying desperate to decode the words on the page. It's been a couple days and I still haven't even gotten past the first 10 pages! I set the book down and flopped back onto my bed. 'I could ask Yami for help....' I toyed with the idea for a little bit, but eventually brushed it off.

'Nah, it's been kind of... weird between us.' I sat up and looked out the window. I could see the people in the garden working 10 times harder than usual. Most likely because Cyndia is sitting on the front porch like she runs the place.

I've been doing everything I can to avoid her, with Yami gone there's nobody to stop her from punishing me or anyone else. She has everyone on their edge. Now that it's fall, Yami has been spending these last few days at the university getting it ready for when his classes start. He also probably wants to get away from Cyndia. I don't know why he would even let her stay with the way she acts around him. Tom said it was something about a deal he had with her father I think?

"Papa" Are you okay?" 

I turned quickly and saw Heba standing in the doorway.

"Oh hey buddy, I didn't hear you come in."

"Are you trying to read?" Heba asked, looking slightly confused.

I looked down and say the open book at the edge of the bed. Looks like I've been caught.

"When I was your age I use to read all the time."

"Really?!" Heba bounced onto the bed. "Read to me! Read to me!"

"Uhhhhh, I don't know. Don't you usually read with Eva?" I tried to cover myselfself, but Heba was stubborn.

"No! I want you to read to me!" he shoved the book into my hands and snuggled next to me.

"Okay, uhh......" I flipped to the first page. All I could understand were a couple of short simple words. 'don't most stories start out with once upon a time?' I thought back to my childhood and all the stories that the Misses would read to me.

"Um, Once upon a time-"

Heba started giggling. "I'm serious Papa, read the actual words on the page."

 I took a deep breath and held the book closer to my face, "There once was a young boy named Jesus." I pretended to read confidently. Heba just started to pout.

"You don't know how to read."

"I do!... It's just been a really long time..." I admitted in a small mumble.

"I can help you!... but I don't know some of the big words." Heba took the book from my hands, I could see his eyes skimming the first page. Eventually I could see his brow scrunch up and he was starting to get frustrated.

"Hey..." I said softly and put my hand over his smaller one. He looked up at me with his beautiful round eyes.

"Why don't we work together."

Heba smiled. "Okay, Papa!"

We spent most of that day on the bed reading. I knew Tom or Sanji would cover for me if anyone asked where I was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Master... you should come back to the estate. Everyone really misses you." Tom said putting a hand on Yami's shoulder. Yami was too busy writing at his desk to pay his full attention.

"I can't. I'm writing a new and an improved course guide for the new incoming students..." he muttered, only stopping to light a fresh candle.

Tom looked around the office, empty plates were starting to pile up, and he noticed a blanket and a couple of pillows on the ground.

"Have you been... living in here?" he walked over and picked up the empty dishes.

"I need this all done and about a hundred copies made by next week, before the new school year starts." Yami's voice sounded rough and scratchy. Tom walked just outside of the office and stopped a maid from her sweeping.

"Excuse me, can you please take these dishes to the kitchen and get me a cup of water for Master Yami."

The lady nodded, "Anything for Master Yami, poor thing is going to work himself to death if he keeps this up." Tom handed her the pile of dishes and walked back into the office. Sure enough Yami still had his nose in his papers.

"You know Yugi misses you."

Yami stopped what he was doing for once and looked over at Tom.

"What?"

Tom walked over to the desk. "He told me himself."

"Bullshit." Yami turned his head back down and continued writing.

Tom was really starting to get frustrated at this point. "well, he didn't tell me, but it was heavily implied."

"Tom, I appreciate you looking out for my sanity, but I really need these done."

A soft knock was heard at the door.

"Could you get that for me Tom?"

Tom was so ready for what was about to happen. He quietly opened the door.

"Master Yami's cup of water." the maid said with a smile.

"Thank you so much." Tom smiled back, "Master Yami will very much appreciate this."

Tom closed the door and walked back over to Yami.

"You'll thank me later Master."

That was the only warning Yami got before he was covered in water.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?! YOU COULD'VE GOTTEN THE PAPERS WET!"

"CUT THE CRAP YAMI!" Tom yelled.

Yami's eyes widened. Tom almost never yelled.

"The only reason your here is because your acting like a coward! You don't want to deal with Cyndia, and how she's making everyone miserable back at your estate! Yugi doesn't even leave his room most of the time because he's afraid of her! I rarely let Eva come out in the garden anymore because that's Cyndia's favorite spot in the whole place! She's slowly taking over!"

Tom picked Yami up by the collar so that they were eye to eye.

"Be a man."

Those were the last words that Tom said before he dropped Yami and walked out.

Yami just stayed standing in the same spot for awhile thinking. He slowly let his wet body fall into his chair and started to organize his papers for what seemed like the millionth time.