Chapter 5

Not an hour later, Tomoe woke up to small hands shaking his shoulders.

"Tomoe," Nanami whispered breathlessly. "Tomoe. Tomoe. Tomoe!"

"Nanami?" His hand shot out to grab her's. Nanami gasped and yanked back. "What's wrong?" He propped himself up on his elbows.

Nanami stared at him, wide eyed. "...O-Oh." She gulped. "Oh, Tomoe..." The girl hid her face, trying to hold in tears.

Tomoe went rigid. "What happened...?" He leaned forward to touch her wrist.

She laughed. "Nothing, really nothing."

"It was something. Are you alright?"

"Yeah." She rubbed her eyes and looked at him, smiling widely. "Don't think I'm silly, but I was listening to your heartbeat. But there wasn't anything there and I...well, you know."

"Heartbeat...?" A yokai heart naturally beats much slower and quieter than a human heart for survival sake. Even more so while they're sleeping. If a human were listening, of course there would be no way they could pick up on the noise. "Don't tell me you're still afraid from your dream."

Nanami chuckled nervously. "...It was your sleeping face, actually." She rubbed the tears out of her eyes. "You look so vulnerable when you're asleep. It terrifies me, so I was just checking to make sure you were still okay...You really worry me, Tomoe."

Tomoe stared at her. Nanami kept struggling to clear her face, laughing all the while. Slowly, Tomoe turned away from her. "Don't get scared over someone's sleeping body." He didn't want her to see how wide he was smiling. "Stupid girl."