Baby Blue (Chapter Five)

Max collapsed into the backseat of David's car, dragging into the seat next to him multiple, opaque bags with store names on them. They were filled to the brim with items and clothing, all of which were for the fluffy haired boy.
Max wouldn't admit it, but David could tell exactly what Max liked. The ginger had kept pointing out shirts and hoodies that he thought was Max's style, most of which were.
After clothes shopping the pair had got things for the younger one's room, having found a large and comfy baby blue blanket that Max enjoyed. They even found a few posters that the Indian enjoyed- a poster of his favorite musician, 6lack, and a few others. David even managed to convince him to get a nature poster. Of course, Max pretended to not care for the poster. But it reminded him of Lake Lilac and ultimately David, along with all of the campers. It had a familiar sense of nostalgia- a lake framed by a beautiful, orange sunset, evergreen trees littering a hill in the background. It looked like a Bob Ross painting- soft, gentle, and gorgeous. Max pretended to hate the poster. But even David could see through the Indian's facade, noticing the somewhat neutral look on the younger boy's face, just the corners of his lips turned up. The redhead didn't mention it, though he felt tempted to. He didn't want to make Max mad by pointing out his adorable behavior, turning his attention back to the road with a light, joyful hum.

~~~

It took hours to arrange Max's room the way he wanted it. The light blue comforter clashed comfortably with a buttermilk yellow pillowcase, which created a light and homey feeling for Max- something he never had with his biological parents. Just another perk of living with David.
David moved the bed to the back corner of the room for Max, so he wouldn't strain himself and get a herniated disc. He also moved the wardrobe towards the door, setting the large wooden container against the wall. The overly happy man even offered to hang up the posters, practically bending over backwards for Max.
Max pointed out the spots that he wanted the posters and told David if they were level enough, eventually getting to the nature poster.
Max pointed to the wall above his bed, right next to a window. "There," He said, his voice perfectly monotone.
David did everything but squeal. He giggled joyously, getting onto Max's bed and leaning over to the wall, carefully holding the serene laminated sheet to the wall.
"Here?" David questioned, looking over his shoulder to the smaller boy.
"Yeah. Just tilt it to the right a bit more," Max responded, dictating where exactly to put the poster.
After a few more moments, the poster was up, four thumbtacks pushed into the wall in the corners. One was pink, two were green, and the last one was a robin blue- it matched his bedsheet.
"Thanks." Max huffed, glancing towards the ground. He wasn't used to thanking someone unsarcastically.
"It's no problem, Max! Wait, we forgot about getting you a nightstand, gosh darnit!"
Max immediately rolled his eyes at the made up swear, letting out yet another huff. "It doesn't matter, David. We can always get one later." His creaky voice squeaked out, letting out a small grunt. His voice had risen an octave because of his terrible allergies- thankfully, spring was rearing up and it was close to summer.
David found the pitch change cute, but didn't want to be violently attacked by Max with a fork or a butterknife, or just anything in general. So he begrudgingly kept his mouth shut about it.
David sighed. "Alright... Hey Max, what kind of pizza would you like? I was thinking about ordering delivery tonight."
"Pepperoni," He responded instantaneously, his eyes shining bright at the thought of pizza. He hadn't had pizza since parent's day at the camp- a bittersweet day.
"Aye okay!" David merrily chimed, his higher pitched voice bouncing off of the walls. "I will go order, then!"
Max felt his eyes involuntarily roll at the cheerfulness, it being his default reaction.
Max turned onto his heel, heading towards the clothing bags. They were heavy- David definitely did spoil him. He dragged the five bags over to the dresser, panting slightly.
Max was skinny and frail- if you held him a bit too tight, you might fear that he would break under the pressure and weight. A damp towel would weigh more than himself.
He began to take out the clothing out of the bag, setting them into organized drawers. Hoodies going into the drawer dedicated to hoodies, shirts to shirts, and et cetera.
After all of the new clothing was put away, Max began to stumble towards his bed, his socked feet rubbing against the surface of the wool carpet. He yawned and pulled himself up onto the bed, his three-foot-and-two-inches barely able to propel himself up onto the bed. He began to drift to sleep, his face burying into the yellow pillow.

~~~

AN: God, I am so fucking sorry this chapter is basic and boring and short. I had bad writer's block (and still kinda do) and I couldn't bring myself to write. Max is a very sleepy boy and I love him--
If I don't update this book in two days get on my ass and spam me please and thank you.

a nice goodbye photo