Spoiled (Chapter Three)

David awoke after he felt Max move underneath his arm, the smaller boy shifting in his spot, still asleep after nine hours. He always tried to oversleep at Camp Campbell, but David had always thought that Max was awake late because he was wired on coffee the night before.
Mentioning coffee, David didn't have any- not even a coffee pot or instant, stir in coffee. Max would just have to deal without any caffeine, though the ginger would most likely cave in and splurge on buying one, just for Max. He couldn't ever resist the hidden cuteness of Max!
David smiled and gently sat up, making sure to not move too brashly or wildly to wake up the Indian boy. David smoothed back some of Max's dark black hair from his forehead and then stood, gingerly recovering him in the soft and heavy blanket.
David began to walk out to the kitchen turning on the television as he passed through the living room and switched the channel to the news, watching for a full minute before finally heading towards the quaint and bland kitchen.
The redhead decided to make Max a full breakfast of eggs and pancakes and bacon, wanting his first morning to be great. David was good at cooking, but barely ever did anymore. The Quartermaster always cooked at camp- unfortunately- while David and Gwen wrangled the kids to the Mess Hall. He sighed, already missing Camp Campbell. It was practically his own home!
David multitasked, listening to the television as he cooked the both of them breakfast. When the ginger was minutes away from finishing the entire meal, Max woke up. It worked like clockwork.
Max leaned against the counter as he watched David finish cooking, saying nothing more than "Morning, David," still embarrassed over how much he cried and how he crawled into bed with his foster parent.
David exclaimed "Max!" and swiveled his body towards the curly haired boy, grinning. "How are you doing today? We are going to have so much fun! I hope you like pancakes and bacon and eggs, because that's what I am making!" David only rambled on and on, barely giving the ten year old time to reply.
"Fuck off, David." He muttered, crossing his slim and frail arms across his lean torso. "... I am doing... Better." Max whispered, looking down to the floor. "Yeah, better."
David ignored the profane word and smiled, full of glee about the news. "Good! I can't wait to bring you to the mall, buddy."
Max winced at the name, giving the taller man an odd look. "... Buddy?" He asked, rolling his sea green eyes. "Maybe I should get changed..."
"No, no, breakfast is done!" He grabbed two porcelain plates, setting them down on the counter. He began to dish up the food, humming lightly as he dropped some fluffy pancakes onto Max's plate, bringing the plate to the table himself. He wanted to sot with Max like a father and son would- he just wanted to have a nice talk with the angry boy.
Max grunted and pulled himself up onto the chair, huffing once. "Why the fuck are your chairs and table so fucking tall?" He asked, to which David just shrugged.
"I am really tall!" He said happily, heading to the table with his own plate. He would put away their breakfast soon enough.
David crossed his ankles under the table and smiled at Max, tilting his head slightly to the side, some fringes falling onto his forehead.
"Where do you want to go today? I was thinking about the mall, but it is all your choice."
Max shrugged his shoulders in response and muttered "I don't know. I don't give a shit," He dug into his food and ate hurriedly, feeling like he was starving. Silence fell between them for just a moment, but David easily pulled the conversation back together. "Okay! The mall it is, then!"
David wanted to spoil Max. It was probably the first time anyone ever had wanted to. Huh. David didn't want to depress himself, so he changed his train of thought.
"Max!" He cheered, letting his own fork drop and clatter onto his plate. "Do you want to go out for dinner tonight? Because there is this really nice pizza place near the mall. Everyone is so nice and the food is good!"
Max just rolled his eyes before muttering, "Sure," not really caring. As long as he got fed, he would be alright.
Max left his empty plate at the kitchen table and headed towards his room, shutting the door behind himself. He got changed into a dark turquoise shirt and jeans, the too big shirt hanging off of him. The worst part was that it was a size small, and it was loose and draped over his small, slim, and fragile frame.
The ten year old didn't even bother to brush his hair out, knowing that the curly strands would barely change position. He left his room and carefully walked out to the dining room, still not sure of where everything was.
David was finishing his meal in silence by himself until Max came back into the room.
"I like your shirt!" He said, chirping towards the Indian boy with a bright smile. The first thing he had noticed was that the short boy wasn't wearing a hoodie, and that he was very, very skinny looking. Not malnourished, but just... Hungry. Maybe that's why the ten year old ate so fast. He frowned slightly, but then forced himself to grin, for Max's sake.
"Let me clean up and get dressed, then we can go!"
The previous frown alarmed Max, but not enough to make the younger boy show it. He sat down onto a wooden chair and waited for David to hurry his ass up and get dressed so they could just get this large trip over with. Max hated large crowds, but at least he wouldn't be by himself. Max was glad that David was so kind, even though Max was just a dick in response. Maybe that was just how the younger male showed his love.
He traced a fingernail against the grain of the wood in the table, shutting his eyes after a few repetitive moments.