Freak

As Bernie, a kid in four out of six of my classes jumped up behind me, causing me to flail my arms into the air and scream, I stumbled. As I fell to the floor, seemingly in slow motion, the grand finale of my disorder made its way past my mouth.

"Edward!" My name rang through the hallway, and as soon as it escaped my lips, the crowd who had stopped to watched the 'show' burst into laughter, causing my cheeks to brighten. As the crowd began to part and it thinned into almost nothing, I stood, gathering my books.

"Sorry, bud. Are you Okay?" Bernie asked me, his brown eyes full of concern.

"Fine. I'm fine." He nodded, and left, leaving me alone in the hallway as the bell rang. I ran to my class, which was the farthest possible class from my current location, and opened the door, disrupting Ms. Alders math lesson.

This was my third tardy for fourth period this trimester.

And it had only been a week.

As I walked into the silent class, feeling eyes trained on me, I looked down at the ground, trying to hide the red in my cheeks. I looked like a living tomato.

"Do you have an excuse?" Ms. Alder asked me, knowing from past experience that I didn't. "Take your seat." She said as I shook my head.

"That's your third tardy this trimester. You need to shape up, Edward. I don't want to have you expelled." Since I had 64 tardies throughout the entire year, I was lucky to only have been expelled twice. The teachers usually gave me some slack, since I was a disabled kid and had special needs.

Every teacher except for 'mean old lady Alder.'

Well, she actually gave me ALOT of slack. Way more than any other teacher. But that was only because I had gotten most of my tardies in her class.

As I sat down in my seat and took out my notebooks and my workbook, I started to take notes on the math lesson we were being taught. Math is NOT my strong suit. I don't have a strong suit.

I am a free agent.

As I took notes on the subject that I would be looking up the answers for later, I felt a small tap on my lower back. Not being able to stop myself because of my disorder, I jumped from the chair, repeating the word 'Edward' over and over, my arms flailing until I calmed down.

The entire class was just staring at me. Watching me.

I was used to it.

Once my temper tantrum that was uncontrolled ended, I sat, blush once again rising to my cheeks. As I looked back to see who was sitting behind me, I saw Penny, a girl, who was a straight A student. Puzzled, I wondered why she would risk getting in trouble to see me in a fit.

But, then again, Ms. Alder, did not say anything to her.

As I regained my natural cheek color, I started breathing deeply as I continued my notes. I heard snickers in the distance, but in my mind turned that to cheers.

In my mind, I was a celebrity on the red carpet. I did not jump, or yell my name. I did not flail and scream. I was famous.

I was normal.

In my daydream.

As I faded back into my horrible reality, and continued note taking, I started to stare at the ticking clock. The second hand was going so slow... but, there was only twelve minutes left of class until lunch.

I could make it through twelve minutes without having a panic attack. I knew I could.

But could my classmates go by twelve minutes without giving me one?

As the twelve minutes slowly ticked down into 5...

...4...

...3...

...2...

...and 1 minute left, I heard the bell ring. As I scooped my unfinished notes and my pens into my back pack, I hustled out the door, my shoulders sagging with the weight of the books in my back pack. As I shuffled to my locker, I could hear the whispers.

"Freak."

I would argue.

I would.

But even I knew that it was true.

And I was the victim of the name.

AS I continued through the hall, almost screaming as I saw someone touch my locker, I stared at my feet. My face was red, and I knew it. As I hurriedly reached my locker and grabbed my books for next period and I grabbed my lunch, I saw my friend Rocky. He was sitting at the peanut free table, and I joined him.

I was, as nerdy as ever, allergic to just about everything.

As I sat by Rocky, I took a bag of Doritoes and a sandwhich from my lunch bag. I opened up the doritoes and started to eat.

And then I felt someone grab me from behind.

"EDWARD! EDWARD! EDWARD, Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward. Edward. Edward. Edward." I mumbled, not being able to stop. My legs and arms were kicking the air. I was panicked. Even though I knew it was a joke.

"Edward. Edward." I repeated. I COULD NOT STOP. I can't stop.

It scares me the most, riles me up the most, when it is from behind. When they grab me.

When they make me feel like a freak.

Well, when they make me feel like a freakish freak.

Which happens a lot.

"Edward." I squeaked, looking up to see Judie, the lunch moniter, staring at me.

"Why were you screaming, young man?" She asked me, not waiting for an answer. "Go to the office."

I nodded, not knowing what else to do. So, head hanging low, I walked through the halls and to the principals office. I opened the door, expecting Edith, the receptionist, to be sitting at the desk. Expecting her to know what had happened and sent meback with a note explaining.

Instead, I saw my mom, dad, and the PRINCIPAL. In a meeting. Talking.

And in the midst of their conversation, I heard my name.