Chapter 4: Kaye's Story, Part 1

Kaye's Pov
I jolted awake, a near-scream in the back of my throat. 

Gasping and panting, I looked around. 

'I'm in my room...my room... not there... not there... I'm safe...' I repeated to myself, taking deep breaths to calm my racing heart.

 As I calmed myself down, I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I got up out of bed. Looking at myself in the mirror, I groaned internally at how bad I looked. I was so sweaty that my shirt was soaked and I had the beginnings of slight bags under my eyes. 

Having an urge to take a quick shower, I did just that. After I changed, I went up to the back deck. Little did I know that someone else was there...

Ace's Pov
I woke up suddenly, not really knowing why. 

Shrugging to myself, I was about to get up when I heard light footsteps coming near to where I was hiding out. 

Stiffening, I braced myself for an attack, but I was surprised to see that girl... Kaye, was it?... pass by me entirely and stop at the railing. 

She placed both her hands on the rails, looking upwards toward the sky.

 I felt a strange feeling come over me, and even startled myself when I got up. 'Why am I getting up to go check on her? Huh? Why should I? Ugh.. whatever, let me get this out of the way...' 

As I approached her, she physically jumped and whirled around, gasping in shock and surprise.

Kaye's Pov
As I leaned against the railing, I heard footsteps coming up behind me.

 I jumped and whirled around, gasping in surprise that someone was up at this hour.

 As I adjusted to the darkness, I relaxed as I saw it was only him. 

Ace's Pov
"Oh, its only you Ace. Sorry bout that, I get scared easily. Why are you up at this hour? Shouldn't you be sleeping?" She asked, looking relieved for some reason. 

"YOU woke ME up." I growled, then felt guilty as she flinched and said "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. I wasn't expecting anyone to be up.... guess that's what happens when you're away from you're family for a long time..." she mused, looking sad before she smiled sheepishly at me.

 "Since I won't be able to go back to sleep, would you like to hear my story? I don't mind telling you. Heck, my storytelling sucks and you might just fall asleep in the middle of it, but that's okay with me." 

"Why can't you fall back asleep? And why would you even want to tell me your story? I'm the enemy here." I scoffed, not believing anything she's saying. 

Her sheepish grin deepened in embarrassment. "Well, when I wake up, I can't ever go back to sleep. I've tried so many methods, and none have worked. That's just the way I am. And I'm sure you're at least a bit curious. I mean no one else on this ship knows about my past except for Pops, Marco, Thatch, and Izo. I only tell others my story if I really feel comfortable about telling them... and I did have a nightmare before I came up here, so I also want to get it off my chest. You're not an enemy, and never will be to me. Simple as that. Now would you like to listen to my story?"

 I was shocked, speechless. 

This girl... was willing to tell me everything about her? 

Just because of her feelings? 

Even though I was skeptical, I said "Sure. If you want to tell me you can, just don't expect me to join you because of this." 

If it was even possible, her eyes shone with happiness and gratitude, with a hint of amusement.

"I'm telling you my story because I want to. Even though I want you to join, I'm not going to force you to. You are you're own person, so it's up to you to decide for yourself. Alright, here's my story...."