I opened my mouth to speak, but Ashton spoke out first. He called to Michael who stood alone with his back to us. He instantly turned on his heels and he stumbled back a bit as he did so. He stared at us with wide and alarmed eyes, and his hands were tensed at his sides. I slowed my steps at the site of his eyes, because they were dull and as blank as an empty canvas. I glanced up at Ashton once again, and his eyes were slightly narrowed with his eyebrows furrowed over them.

"Where is everybody?" Ashton asked casually. I could tell he was trying really hard to sound casual.

"I don't know." Michael said dumbly. He looked around awkwardly, and the area in which we all stood grew really quiet. Even with everyone else talking and pushing past us, I couldn't hear a thing. I watched in alarm as Michael winced and shut his eyes, curling his lips inward and haunching his shoulders a little bit. His movements reminded me of how I react to a sudden pain in my body. Michael glanced at us again, and his eyes grew even duller as he looked at me. The area became even more silent and awkward, and I had no idea he looked so... uncomfortable. And almost like he was in pain.

"I'll see you later, Ash." Michael spat with his jawline tensing. I felt my face express a look of confusion and disbelief as Michael just walked away before anyone could say anything.

"What the fuck." Ashton groaned.

"What is wrong with him?" I asked.

"I don't know!" Ashton threw his arms up in frustration and let them come back down and hit his sides. "Have you noticed this too?"

"All week," I answered. "Shouldn't you do something? I mean you're his best friend."

"I know I should do something..." Ashton's voice trailed off and he looked to the ground in thought. "..But what do I do?"

"Just go talk to him," I proposed. "What's the worst that can happen?"

"That." Ashton sighed.

"Come on Ashton," I urged. "You should talk to him and see what's up. If I could I would, but I think he's mad at me."

"But you didn't do anything," he said angrily. "Wow what a douche."

"Ashton," I gave him a little push on his arm. "Something is obviously wrong with him. I bet if you were alone he would tell you."

"What if he gets mad at me?"

"He's mad at me," I said. "It's pretty obvious, too."

Ashton was quiet, looking between me and the direction that Michael walked in. He stood contiplating, and I waited in hope and anticipation.

"Alright fuck it I'm going over there." Ashton finally spoke up.

"Wait now?" I asked, realization and rememberance of that text I still haven't answered. My left hand instantly gripped my phone tighter.

"Well if I don't do it now," Ashton replied. "I probably never will."

I nodded, but I didn't know what to say at first. Well; there goes my plans of weaving around Leila.

"You're right," I said in encouragement. "You should go."

Ashton nodded his head and shot me a warm smile."I'll call you tonight," he said. "And we can do something super fucking cool tomorrow."

"Sounds like a plan." I smiled, leaning up to peck his lips a couple times. I stepped back and watched as Ashton gave me one more cute wave before turning to the exit of the school.

I stood where I was, and by now the amount of students on campus had shranken to a countable amount. I sighed, and looked down at my phone. Leila's unanswered question was still there, and I shook my head. I can't just lie to her; she'll probably fuck around with me even more if she found out. If I was with Ashton tonight then it would've been understandable, but now I didn't know what to do. As shady as she seems she's still nice to me. And if she finds out that I blew her off for no reason maybe she'll tell everyone and they'll continue to 'talk about me'. I didn't even know that people knew my name, but I guess I stand corrected. I'm actually really confused on that whole thing; maybe if I hang out with Leila I can ask her, since she brought it up to me on monday.