4

Matt and I were hanging out in the living room before I was getting ready to go to the meeting with Harry and Dr. Topalli. I had washed my hair and put on a little bit of makeup and it was something Matt noticed immediately. I could feel his curiosity rushing out of him.

"I have a meeting with one of my professors and his fuck wad T

"I have a meeting with one of my professors and his fuck wad T.A.," I slipped on a pair of black ballet flats. "Apparently I have potential...whatever the fuck that means."

Matt laughed and I smiled up at him. "Well, you look nice," he smiled at me as his eyes quickly and fleetingly ran over my black t-shirt dress.

"Thanks, I'll fill you in later on all of the bullshit assignments they're going to give me," I  chuckled and grabbed my bag to head out the door.

"Bye," Matt yelled as I left.

The walk to Dr. Topalli's office was a long one from my apartment. I usually took the bus, but wanted the exercise. The anxiety had begun to build in my chest wondering what they were going to offer me and as I turned the corner I walked straight into the office.

"Ms. Dowry, Mia correct?" Dr. Topalli looked up at me from sitting at his desk.

"Yes, how are you?" I smiled and took a seat in front of his desk. I looked around his unusually large office and didn't spot Harry. The door shut behind me but I didn't see anyone do it. I turned and looked but Harry was still absent. It was just me and Dr. Topalli.

"Quite well. Listen, I have been hearing raving reviews of you from my assistant, Harry. You know him, yes?"

I sighed and nodded my head. "Yes, I do."

"But I also want to talk about your behavior. Because I've been hearing these reviews, but I also heard the way you spoke to him a few weeks ago and it's not adding up in my head."

My stomach swirled and I felt all of my blood rush from my face. Would he say something about me making him cry?

"Well," I cleared my throat and sat straight in the chair. "Harry and I had an incident earlier this semester outside of school. And I haven't been too kind to him because of it, but I have apologized and it won't happen again."

"And your paper? I read it after Harry came to me to readjust your grade. Are you happy with your grade now, Ms. Dowry?"

"Ugh yes, thank you."

"Good. Now that I know how inquisitive you are and intelligent, I want you to tell me my emotions. What am I feeling, Mia?"

And for the second time, I felt frozen in time. I hesitated and narrowed my eyes. Was he questioning me and my abilities? Did he know?!

"Excuse me?" I frowned and repositioned myself in my chair. "I-I don't know what you mean..."

"What am I feeling, Mia?" he repeated while his eyes stared deeper into mine. A strange mix of fear and anticipation...that was the answer to his question, but I couldn't answer him. I couldn't let him know what I could do.