Chapter 3

Naomi- Love Lessons...

"Good Morning, Mrs. Knight. First thing this morning, you have a brief meeting with Mr. Hansford about the divorce settlement that he's handling."
"Why am I meeting with him? I thought I made myself clear when I said I didn't want an update until he settles the case."
Stepping out of the car, I headed toward the elevator as Amy hovered over me every step of the way.
"Yes, well umm. Unfortunately, Mr. Hansford has some newly discovered information he'd like to share with you. I'm not sure with what. I just took the call and figured it was worth hearing. More importantly, at 9:30, you have a meeting with a potential client, Audrey Love. Based off my research, she's the it girl in the plus sized industry right now. She's looking for representation to settle a civil matter, but word on the street is that she also needs an attorney to dispute the upcoming modeling contract she has with Forever 21."
Sighing, I listened to Amy as she read me my schedule for today. Ever since she forgot to mention that business meeting, she'd been on her a-game. I had only been here for five minutes, and she was already on it. She would meet me in the parking garage every morning. She would escort me to my office and read through my schedule.
"I know who she is, Amy, but you know I don't handle civil cases."
Stepping on the elevator, I grabbed my coffee from her hand, taking a sip. I was beyond tired. I hadn't had a full night's rest in nearly a month with the stress of running the firm and listening to Mercedes lecture me on how I was missing out on love. Since the conversation we'd had, I hadn't been able to keep David out of my mind.
"Yes, well I know that, but we received a personal call from Ms. Love herself. She demanded to have a meeting with you to present her case."
Flipping through her notes, she nervously fiddled through her planner.
"She specifically requested nothing but the best, and she wouldn't settle for anything less. She also stated that she knew you took on the case with Mr. McCrae, and—"
"I only defended Mr. McCrae while he faced criminal charges. I only advised on the civil matter."
Stepping off the elevator, I returned the smile given to me by the front desk receptionist. I quickly walked to my office before I was spotted by anyone else. Since I took over, I never seemed to have a moment to myself. If I wasn't being disturbed by one of the many employees, then I was locked away in a meeting.
"I know, but with the social status of Ms. Love, I figured you would rather explore your options."
Throwing my briefcase on my desk, I looked at Amy. Her face was flushed red. I knew the only reason she wanted to me to take this case was because she was a fan of Ms. Love. I had to admit that it was very tempting, but dealing with civil cases wasn't my thing. I was a fan of Ms. Love, but I wasn't sure that I could do anything for her. I was loving her new clothing line. In fact, I had purchased a few of her pieces.
I was finally free from the workload of any cases right now, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to take on another. With life being where it was for me right now, I really didn't want to deal with the headache. Dealing with all the work of running the firm and taking on a full caseload, I wasn't up for that right now.
"I'll take the meeting, but I can't make you any promises, Amy, so I hope you didn't make any."
Smiling, she took a seat. I turned on my computer before taking off my jacket. I made my way over to the mirror in the corner of my office. Fluffing out my curls, I tucked away a few stray hairs I had left out this morning.
"Cancel the meeting with Hansford this morning, and reschedule it for later. I need you to research Ms. Love."
Applying a new coat of lip gloss, I admired my makeup for today. I think I had out done myself with the contour of my face.
"Yes ma'am. I love your dress by the way."
I smiled at Amy as she made her way out. I was wearing an off the shoulder bodycon dress in a black floral print. Not the best thing to wear professional wise, but I didn't care. I felt like doing something different today, so I did just that.
Sitting down in my seat, I kicked my heels off and started to spin in my office chair. Today was going to be a long day. This morning, I cooked for Mercedes, and I was forced to listen to yet another one of her lectures. I knew she was right, but I wanted to believe that my intentions were different. I was playing myself. I had a man that was willing to be everything I needed him to be if I gave him a chance. However, I didn't think I could deal with a relationship right now. I was okay with being alone, for now. I knew David wasn't going to wait forever, just for me to decide if I wanted to be with him or not. It had been two months since we saw one another. Still, I hadn't concluded. I thought of him all the time, but I never saw past anything other than the physical pleasure he gave me. Even though we did have something of a friendship, the only thing we ever talked about was my failing marriage. My heart longed to know about him while my mind was shouting to run for the hills.
"I don't need your permission to enter. This is my daughter-in-law. I can waltz off in here whenever I damn well please!"
I snapped out of my thoughts, hearing the commotion outside of my office door. I shook my head as Mama Joyce walked in. Even though Rashaad and I had been separated for a while, I still talked to Mama Joyce regularly. It's not like I had much choice. She was my hairdresser and someone that I looked up to.
She taught me a lot of things about being a woman and a wife. Mama Joyce had played a major role in my life, but as of lately, I find myself slowly detaching myself from her. I loved her dearly, but she was the mother of my ex-husband. She was all about her son and always, in her eyes, he could do no wrong. Once I told her that Rashaad cheated, she immediately started to ask me what I'd done to cause it. It pissed me off to say the least, but she apologized, so she had my forgiveness. As much as I valued my relationship with her, I couldn't deal with her constantly trying to save a failed marriage. It was almost as if she refused to believe that Rashaad and I weren't meant for each other. I knew she would take it hard but not this damn hard.
"Amy, it's fine, really. Hey, Mama."
I stood from my seat and gave her a small hug.
"Hey, baby. I ought to spank your behind."
"Why? What have I done?"
I laughed at the way she looked at me.
"Well, Naomi, I haven't seen you in God knows how long, and I heard you went to another hair stylist, so I came to see if there was something you needed to tell me."
"Mama, I went to another stylist because you were out of town doing one of those hair show things that you're always away doing. As for not coming to see you, I have a job."
"Yes, you do have a job, a job that cost you your marriage!"
I looked at her like she'd lost her damn mind. She was really coming at me out the side of her neck with that. I'd done the respectful thing when things went south with Rashaad. I didn't tell Mama Joyce all the shit her son did to me out of respect and partially because I cared too much to hurt her feelings. But baby, she was about to catch a rude awakening.
"Believe me. My marriage was already falling apart before I got this job. I spared your feelings because I love you, and I'm not sure of what's going on with you lately. What's up with all this attitude you're giving me?"
"I'm sorry. I'm just concerned. I'm worried about my son. I haven't seen or heard from him in nearly eight months. That's why I'm here actually. He ca—"
"You haven't seen him in the last eight months."
I looked at her shocked, and she looked everywhere but at me. I was shocked to say the least.
"I think you better leave, Joyce."
She knew damn well that I'd been looking for Rashaad for years. Countless amounts of times I'd begged her to tell me where he was. I knew if anybody knew where he was that she would know.
"Naomi, listen to me. He needs your help. You have to have some type of love for him left in you. I know you do. You have to."
"Do you think I really give two fucks about him needing my help! You have no clue how much fucked up shit your son has done to me. Trust me. Him stepping out on me and having RJ was only the half. The only thing I have left for Rashaad is a damn divorce. It wasn't enough that he was cheating, and trust, Chante wasn't the only one. He played with my life and damn near gave me HIV."
"I know. I know. He told me a few months ago before he disappeared again."
She stopped talking for a minute to try and contain herself.
"Look, I know he may have done some terrible things, but if you can't help him because you love him, then help him for me. He's gotten himself in some trouble, and I'm scared that he's not taking his meds and that it's getting worse. If he continues not to take his meds, he may not make it. I'm not ready for that, Naomi. I can't bury my baby."
"What mother would be? I love you, Mama Joyce, but Rashaad and I are done. He will never be anything other than a distant memory to me. If he needs help, then he will have to find it himself."