Chapter 27

They held each other like that for a long time without caring what anyone else thought. Some of the crew appeared on the deck, and more quickly followed once word that the mist was gone got around. Arthur didn't even care that they were looking. He presses his lips to the mermaid's and enjoyed the way she tasted. There were a lot of whistles and hoots thrown their way because of it, but he didn't care.

She pulled back after a while and blushed deeply. "Everyone's watching."

"Let them. The gits are probably all jealous."

"It was strange, that fog," the mermaid whispered. "I saw some weird things."

"Yes, I know."

"Ivan...I don't think he's...normal."

The Captain took a quick peek over her shoulder at the tall man, who was wearing a small smile on his face. "What happened?"

"He found me being strangled to death by the fog, but he rescued me. I'm fine though, honest," she said after seeing the panic in Arthur's eyes. "I asked him what he saw in the mist, but he wouldn't say."

"And that makes him abnormal?"

"No. I started seeing things in the fog that I think were meant for him. Horrible things, Arthur. They were horrible. And he just..."

"Just what, love?"

"He just laughed and slashed them apart."

This confirmed a suspicion Captain Kirkland had ever since he met the large man. There was just something fundamentally wrong with him. It wasn't anything that could be seen by just looking, but it seeped out and clung to him like an odor. A very menacing odor. It was no wonder death wouldn't touch him. The Captain was glad they had made it through because he wanted Ivan off his ship as soon as possible.

The island Arthur had seen was actually part of a chain of islands. They formed a large crescent around a shimmering blue bay with water as clear as glass. A faint breeze pushed the Queen Lady swiftly through the water. The Captain stood at the helm and guided his ship carefully around the bay's perimeter. He wasn't sure where to land, but hoped he would find it soon. The opportunity arose not long after.

"Here! I would like to get off here!" Ivan stood next to the Captain and pointed to a tiny island covered in nothing but sunflowers. "How wonderful."

"You'll have to find your own way back," Arthur informed him.

"Da, I know. I still would like to get off."

Arthur was more than happy to oblige. He steered the ship as close to the island as possible and dropped anchor. Ivan said goodbye to everyone and jumped off the ship before a plank was lowered. Several people ran to the side of the ship, but reported not seeing the tall man anywhere. The Captain glanced back at the island and saw a few of the yellow flowers closest to the edge of the island swaying. If Ivan had managed to go that way, he was nowhere to be seen.

The anchor was raised, and the ship began its course once more. A very tall mountain peak began to grow closer, and Arthur saw something unbelievable on that island. A large structure that looked like a huge stone castle sat nestled between the mountain and the beaches of the island. There even appeared to be some docks protruding into the water near the castle. The Captain had no doubt this was where he was supposed to go.

It took less than an hour for him to sail to the castle. Most of the crew was already gathered on deck to marvel at the gigantic gray structure with an even larger mountain for a backdrop. The mermaid's eyes sparkled with hope and wonder, and Arthur knew they were both thinking the same thing. This was the end of the line. They were finally here and were about to get some answers.

But he had a tough time feeling completely happy about it. He did want the mermaid to be happy, which he knew meant she gets her fin back, but he was afraid of what that meant. She couldn't stay on the ship with a fin. She would have to go back to her family, if the Council even let her back into their city. Arthur couldn't picture a scenario in which she gets her tail back and is able to stay with him.

"There be people!" Squeaker cried from the crow's nest. "Lots of 'em!"

"Wonder if dey look like moon people."

"Well, dey prob'ly don' look like yew! Yer too ugly!"

"Moon people?" the mermaid asked the two men conversing.

"Yeah, moon people," one of them answered. "'Aven' ya 'eard? Rumor 'as it dat the people livin' 'ere are from da moon. Dats why it's called de Lunar Islands."

"Oh." She nodded as if it made sense.

Arthur rolled his eyes. Rumors spread faster on his ship than a market full of women. Even so, he was also curious as to the name's origin. He ordered the anchor to be dropped as soon as the ship came to a stop beside a long wooden dock. Once that was accomplished, his crew waited on deck for orders.

"I'm sure you're all excited to get on shore," the Captain said to his men. "You all have my permission to go, but if I hear about even one of you causing trouble..." He paused for dramatic effect. "Let's just say I have a long list of things that could use a good cleaning. You're all dismissed."

The crew didn't hesitate to disembark, and Arthur wondered if he had unleashed a plague on the island. He didn't even know if the people were friendly. His thoughts were interrupted by someone clearing his throat.

"Do ya need someone t' go wit ya, Cap'n?" Christov stood behind him waiting for an answer.

"Yes, thank you."

"Don't forget me!" The mermaid appeared from behind Christov with a smile.

"Never, princess."

"I'm coming too!" Alfred popped up from the stairs leading below deck.

"If you must..."

"Oh, me too! I'm coming too!" Peter came up the stairs next with a big grin.

"Of course." Arthur looked at his group. "All set?" They nodded. "Okay, let's go see what's going on."