Chapter 26

You see the thing is, when someone is having a near-death experience they say your whole life flashes before your eyes. But for me it was only the good parts.

Dominic and the mafia were the only good things in life for me. Although I was new, they accepted me. Dominic fell in love with me. They became my family. They loved me just as much as my own father would, as much as my mother should.

The bad thing about falling in live with a mafia leader is if you want to leave, it's almost impossible to leave without hurting anyone. Everyone standing behind that person is in love with you too.

The mafia is a do or die deal. If you don't do it, you're done. You mess up, you're done. You do it and you do it perfectly or you'll be answering to the leader. Although they're like that, once you're in it's hard to get out. It's hard both physically and mentally.

*Flashback*

I glance up at Dominic who's had a silly grin on his face all day now. He pours wine into my cup as well as his placing the bottle back down on the table. He stares at me as I look over Paris, the city of love. On a balcony the city seems so much more beautiful. The Eiffel Tower is lit up with colors displaying France's pride of their country.

"I've been wanting to ask you something." Dominic says, his voice sounding like silk. I turn my attention to him slowly taking a sip of the romantic alcohol. "What's that, Mr. Gold?" I reply teasingly looking into his deep blue orbs. He suddenly stands and kneels down next to me reaching into his pocket, fishing out something.

"Willamina, I know I sound insane because we've only been together, only have known each other for a few months, but I want you. I want you in every way possible. I want to be your best friend, I want to be your protector, provider, lover, and your husband. I'm not sure if this is a promise ring or an engagement ring yet, but it can be whatever you want it to be."

I watch with tears in my eyes as he opens a small black box reveling a diamond ring, not too big or too small. "Will you be mine?" As soon as the words leave his mouth I'm on the floor telling him yes with tears rolling down my face. He slipped the ring onto my finger and kissed me sealing our internal love.

*End of flashback*

If you've ever fallen in love with someone you know how happy they make you. Even if they're bad at loving you, you love them. You would do anything to avoid hurting them which also means not hurting yourself.

With Dominic, our love is different. We love each other the same as you would love your significant other, but our situation is different. I believe he loves me, but without time to show your love it's almost pointless to be together.

*Flashback*

"What are you doing, little girl?" I hear come from behind me causing me to jump. "Nick! You scared me, you dick." I say punching him in the arm. He chuckles and brings me into a hug.

"What are you up to though?" He asks grabbing a soda from the fridge. I nervously look over the Hot Pockets in front of me. "Eating? What about you?" I reply taking a bite.

"Do you want to play a video game?" Shit. I don't know if I'm allowed to. "Come on, it'll be fun." He smiles grabbing my food and my arm to drag me into the living room.

*End of flashback*

Even if you don't think you can trust the people in the mafia, you make friends. Nick is one of my best friends. That time he made me play video games with him was the time I decided I could trust him.

I knew that he would always be there for me.

*Flashback*

"I just want you to know that your father loved you and he would be very proud of you, Willamina." I silently weep at the words coming through the phone.

"Thanks, Eddie." I whisper. "If I could I would hug you, my little girl." He says in a sweet tone. "I love you dearly and so does Dominic. We will always be there for you. No matter what, sweetheart." I sob trying to control myself. "I love you too, Ed."

*End of flashback*

You find people who will take care of you like you've always wanted. Maybe it was unexpected but when it comes you can't help but feel happy about it.

*Flashback*

"Ashton," I groan loudly. "I'm just saying, if you do get engaged, I want to know. I want to be invited. I've never seen you this happy with someone before." He says while walking back in with coffee in hand.

"I don't think it's going to go that far, Ash." I murmur before taking a sip. "I don't know, you seem to really like this guy. I want to help you go shopping for the dress, too."

*End of flashback*

You make friends all through life, but you only have a few that will stay with you through everything. Ashton I've always known will stay with me no matter what. He always has.

~oOo~

I wonder if the ring is still on my finger and I wonder if I'll live. Dominic should know by now but what will he do to Nick? I can't do anything but stare into the dark abyss and think about all the ways I've ruined my life. All the ways I've ruined other peoples' lives.

If Dominic does know I wonder if he's here or at home. I wonder if he cares but there's a small voice that tells me he does. The voice also tells me that Nick feels like it's his fault and I want to tell him it's not.

I never gave him a good reason as to why I was leaving. I saw the tears in his eyes, heard the breaks in his voice, yet I left without an explanation. I feel terrible but I can't really feel anything at all.

Should we go back to what happened after I left?