Chapter 13

Terry's POV

"Are you going to let me go?" I taunted. I was solid is my decision to give nothing away or die trying. 

"You don't learn." Ray said dismissively. 

I smiled, probably looking hideous with my mangled and swollen face. I chuckled and started singing at the top of my lungs. It was just random, cheerful lyrics with a bubbly tune but I distorted my voice to sound strangled and screechy. 

"Damn you, Teresa. No one can hear you anyways." Adrian replied. Ray shot him a split-second dirty look and focused back on his playing cards. I stopped my horendous screaming and gaped, wondering what they took me for.

"Yeah, totally, because you took me so far away from civilization. I'm not stupid, I can hear cars pass. You do know that I'm not deaf right??" I said sarcastically.

"You picked a great girl, Adrian." Ray retorted quietly. Adrian just shrugged and dismissed it with a wave.

"We don't care if you scream. What I mean by 'no one's going to hear you' is, no one is going to care  if they hear you. They'll probably figure you're a terrible singer and forget about it. That or they won't be bothered to help you if they think you're in trouble."

I figured that small talk wasn't a bad option at this point. It wasn't like they could use anything I say to their advantage anyways.

"I'm not that bad of a singer, really." I made an attempt at smiling with my disfigured face and gave that up. I laughed to myself, thinking I looked like a clown that got jumped.

"I...honestly doubt that." Ray said. This comment hit Adrian's humor and caused him so much laughter that he could barely breathe. 

"I agree with all my heart. After that performance, I'm scared to hear you sing again."

I took this as a challenge. I took a deep breathe and cleared my throat. 

"Another day, another waiting game. A little different but it's still the same. I am here, but where's the one I'm longing for? I'm having trouble feeling all alone. Will my heart ever find a home?" I sang pretty much flawlessly. My voice came out angelic and clear, with emotion stirred in just enough. Both men turned towards me and  gawked. 

"Damn." Ray said. Adrian was too caught off guard to say anything at first, but unfortunately the silence didn't last.

"Well, why the hell aren't you a proffessional? You've got your ugly little self caught up in some bad stuff, and darling I don't know if you're gunna make it out alive." It wasn't my fault that they decided to beat the shit out of me. My features were naturally beautiful, my cheekbones high and elegant and my lips full. My body had natural curves and I didn't easily gain weight. And I didn't care if they thought I was in a bad situation. It wasn't their choice if I was with Joey. 

Instead of explaining this to him, I stayed silent and listened. Downstairs, two men were talking. Who were they? I hadn't noticed voices before, but my listening skills weren't exceptional. I mean, somehow I'd gotten myself captured when I was supposed to be careful. I should have listened more to Joey then, and for trouble when I was walking outside alone.

"Who are the men downstairs?" I asked.

"That's none of your business." Ray said. 

"Whatever." I said. The door downstairs banged open and then shut. The people were still down there, though, and sounded scared and upset. This could be good for me; that, or really, really bad. The voices abruptly stopped, making it eerily silent down there.