It had always been my back up plan, not an overly ingenious plan, but it was what it was. I had a key to the sliding door sitting under a pot plant on the balcony. No one in their right mind would bother with trying to break into my apartment this way, but this was more about me locking myself out and losing my keys. It was my last resort option and now I was grateful. I slipped the key in the lock and prayed that there was no bomb attached to it or something that ridiculous. Vampires were immortal but the humans that lived in this apartment block weren't. I looked around the glass, not seeing anything that wasn't supposed to be there, it seemed normal. Taking a deep breath, I slid the door across, nothing happened. I pulled the curtain back, everything was normal. Surveying the room, I detected no movement, no smell of vampire, no beating hearts, no ticking. I made a beeline to my robe, finding my black jeans and my knee high black leather boots, not ideal for any running but they would be great if I had to gouge the spike heel into someone. Like bear man. We had agreed that our clothing would be very nondescript, to blend into the back ground. So I selected a soft black cotton shirt and threw it on with a new jacket, stuffing Sid's jacket and a few more clothes into a bag. Then I found my stash of money and set out for the door. Assessing the door, I couldn't see anything abnormal, so I returned the key to the hiding spot and locked the glass door. Taking another deep breath, I unlocked the door and opened it to Curtis who had been waiting patiently.

*************************************

Curtis and I were back at the club in record time, we wanted to be off the streets and devise our next movements without anyone hassling us in between. In our absence Sid had gone and bought hair dye, both of us were going for a serious change in our lives. I don't know how impressed Curtis was at going brown but it was the most realistic change that suited his skin tone. Me however, I was going black. Shiny and lustrous black. Curtis and I also gave each other haircuts. His once floppy hair was now short all round and he seemed pretty happy with it. More so when Sid produced some gel to style his hair with. My hair was now shorter, now it sat just above the collar of my shirt. Long strands of brown hair gone, now replaced with barely mid length black hair. Every time I ran my hands through my hair, my hand would fall out, expecting there to be more.

"Look at you, biker babe." Sid grinned as he pulled me to a wall.

He pressed me against it and kissed me hard.

"If you two are done, we need to discuss the future."

We sat at the first of the booths looking at each other.

"So what do we want from our lives? You start Ronnie." Curtis had become very authoritarian all of a sudden.

"I like live feeding; I don't want to return to the bags."

"Agreed." he interrupted.

"I don't know what to think about Noah and Harry, in fact we don't really have any proof that any of them started or had anything to do with the fire."

"I've sent some feelers out; we will know with a little time."

I looked at Sid oddly, wondering who he knew that could get that kind of information without getting themselves in trouble.

"Ok so we will come back to that one when we have information."

"And what if it turns out they're innocent?" Sid asks.

Oooh, I knew what he was inferring, Curtis knew it too. He gave me that look of tread carefully.

"I don't think you have anything to worry about Sid, I barely knew Noah. His brother was always looking at me like I was scum and his father thought he was better than me. I don't pretend to be the smartest person on the planet but I know how to not insult people who are less intelligent or even the same or more intelligent than me. I knew that I was welcomed into their lives but it didn't feel like it. It kind of felt like I was an outsider."