Chapter 22: Fight

Yesterday was a lot of fun. We went to a pasta restaurant and returned back to Sarahs house and watched a movie. It felt like me and Abby were surrounded by people who actually cared about us.

Today Seth picked me up from school so we could go to his house to meet up with the lawyer that will support us in court tomorrow. Seth is really close with the lawyer and he said he'll do whatever it takes to keep my uncle and his wife from taking us.

Danielle is in the back seat she's the therapist that will be helping me and Abby. Today she's coming to talk with Abby even though Abby isn't dealing with the not talking situation right now. It'll still be good for Abby to talk to someone about what's happened this year.

We started driving back to Sarahs when we soon came up on a sign that said the road we usually go on was closed. Seth said we'd have to take the detour.

After we got out of the traffic we got onto a smaller one lane road. Further down the road I noticed a train track. The area looked.....familiar. My body betrayed me and stopped breathing on its own. Images of that day flashed through my head. My chest felt like it'd explode and I couldn't find my breath. Seth looked at me while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Katherine what's wrong?" He placed his hand on my thigh but I couldn't get anything out.

Warm tears streamed down my face and all I saw was the train, my mom's beautiful smile,waking up in the hospital, my dad's disappointed face, the times he relentlessly hit me.

"Jesus Katherine please answer me." I pulled my knees into my chest and hugged them close my breathing came out in large pants.

"Seth she's having a panic attack." I heard Danielle in the back seat.

Everything after that was muffled. I felt the car door open beside me. My seat belt was unbuckled and I was turned to face the door.

Seth pulled me in his arms and hugged me tight.

"Shhhh, breath Katherine breath, I'm right here Shhhh calm down. It's okay." Slowly I was able to catch my breath focusing on his voice.

I hugged him back just as tight. He kept whispering sweet nothings in my ear until my breathing had completely evened out. I pulled out of his embrace and closed my eyes when he wiped the tears from my cheeks.He then landed a kiss on each eyelid and one on my lips.

"Are you ok now?" He asked worry in his eyes. I shook my head yes.

"Are you ok to ride in the car right now? We can go sit in the restaurant for a little if you want."

"I'm fine" My voice came out scratchy.

He looked like he was debating whether to believe me or not but he decided to. I sat back in my seat and he buckled me in. The rest of the way to Sarahs house he held my hand and looked over at me every chance he could.

I was still shaking but all I cared about was that I could breathe now. I thought maybe that was a random train track but now that I think about it I know it's the same one. Abbys elementary school is literally around the corner and she attends the same one I use too.

We finally arrived to the house and I hurried out of the car. I retreated into my room and got into bed. I wasn't in the mood to do anything. Seth gave me my space but came and checked on me from time to time. Eventually I just fell asleep.

I woke up to a little finger poking my face. Trying to turn my head I felt I little body jump on my back.

"Kat wake up." I turned on my back causing Abby to now sit on my stomach.

"Hey princess." She smiled down at my.

"Are you okay?" Her smile was replaced with sadness.

"Yes. I'm fine. Are you? " she shook her head no.

I lifted up in a sitting position.

"What's the matter Abby?" I grabbed her face and looked in her watery eyes.

"What if they take us away tomorrow ? I like Sarah and Seth I don't wanna leave."

"It'll be okay princess, we'll get through this."

"Promise?" She looked up waiting. I hesitated not knowing what the outcome would be.

"Promise." I really home I can keep it.

I hugged her before she said goodnight and went off to her room. I frowned realizing I stayed in my room all day.

Getting up I headed to the bathroom and took a long shower. When I finished I exited my room and went down stairs.

Walking into the living room I see Seth laid out on the couch sleep.

"He wouldn't leave without knowing you'd be fine." I turned around to Sarah drying her hands off.

"You let him stay?" I asked knowing Sarah would never approve.

"I couldn't break his heart I could tell he was truly worried. He's  crazy about you." I smiled at the idea of him caring so much.

I walked over to the couch to spread the sheet over his body and leave a kiss on his lips. When I finished I was walking back to my room when Sarah asked to speak with me.

We walked into the back yard and sat at the garden bench.

"Kat, I know you and Abby have had it rough and I can't begin to fathom why someone wouldn't do everything in there power to make you two happy. You're the strongest most intelligent girl and you didn't deserve the card debt to you. You and Abby have brought happiness to my life that I hadn't experienced since my husband Richard passed away. You would have loved him, he was a great man." She had a distant smile on her face but I could still see the sadness. "Anyway dear, I was wanting to ask your permission first, it would be an honor to adopt you and Abby. It would be a solid argument in the court tomorrow considering the time I've fostered you two. I won't let them take you guys away from me without a fight I just wanted to give you the choice, you've been taking care of yourself and Abby your entire life so I feel it's only fair that you get a say so." Below she could even wait for an answer I jumped in her arms.

"I'd love that. She smiled and hugged me tight like she sift want to let go.

"We'll give them everything we've got tomorrow in court." I knew that no matter what happens tomorrow me and Abby found someone that truly cares for the both of us.

Not edited and really short chapter, hope you enjoyed.