Chapter 24: Nothing Lasts Forever, Nothing Stays the Same

Začít od začátku

"It's okay to cry, Mar," I said softly, moving so I was completely sitting on the bed now, propped up against the headboard, "It's only us in here. Just let it out." Mari's bottom lip trembled and the waterworks quickly followed. I pulled on her so her head was on my lap and I just let her cry herself to sleep.

10 minutes later, when I was 100% sure that she were asleep and hadn't just run out of tears, I carefully lifted her head off of my thighs and made sure she at least looked comfortable before I grabbed my keycard and left the room. I knocked quietly on Kenzie and Vanessa's door and luckily, they weren't asleep yet.

"Kay, what's wrong?" Kenzie asked as I barged into the room the second after the door opened.

"I'll explain in a few," I said, pulling out my phone to text Michael.

Michael texted back almost immediately.

I scoffed at the message on my screen.

It took Michael a moment to respond, probably confused as to what I meant by that

~

Michael's POV

"Emergency meeting with the girls, guys," I said, walking into the kitchen where Luke and Ashton were. Calum wasn't there – he was upstairs asleep as far as the rest of us were concerned – so I knew I didn't have to check to see if he was there beforehand.

"What for?" Ashton asked.

"Don't know," I shrugged, "But I told Kay we'd be there in 5."

"Okay, I'll go see if Cal's awake."

"Cal's not invited," I informed them.

"Why not?" Luke cocked an eyebrow.

"I don't know, but apparently, Mari's not gonna be there either," I shook my head, "Kay said to go to Vanessa and Kenzie's room and be quiet in the hall so we don't wake her up." Luke and Ashton glanced at each other for a moment before grabbing their jackets so we could head to the girls' hotel.

Upon arriving, I texted Kaylynn as promised and she gave me the room number. She met us at the elevator, reminding us not to make a lot of noise as we approached the room. I looked at the door across from the one she was taking us to, wondering why Mari and Calum weren't in on this 'emergency meeting'.

"So can we know what's going on now?" I asked, earning a chorus of agreements from Luke and Ashton as well as Kenzie and Vanessa, who apparently didn't know what was happening either.

"We have a problem," Kaylynn informed the group as we all sat on the ends of the two beds, standing in front of us.

"And I'm assuming that problem involves Mari and Calum somehow?" Kenzie wondered.

"Earlier this evening, Calum and Mari disappeared to a dressing room," the bassist started, "One can only assume that when a couple sneaks into an empty dressing room, they're going to-"

"Kay!" Vanessa exclaimed, "We don't want to know what they did!"

"Oh, but you do!" she scoffed, "You see, my dear friends, our young, star-crossed lovers were not doing things that they would be embarrassed of if we were to find out about them – no, no, no. They were in there because he broke up with her." Everyone's jaws dropped slightly and we all stared at each other in shock.

"I don't know what I was expecting to hear," Ashton said softly, "But that was not it."

"Calum...broke up with Mari?" I shook my head, trying to wrap my mind around it.

"Why would he do that?" Kenzie whispered.

"Yeah," Vanessa added, "They seemed so happy."

"11,000 miles was apparently a deal-breaker for him," Kaylynn answered.

"So what do we do?" Luke spoke up, "Like... Do we try to make them work it out before you leave or..."

"Won't that just make them more upset though?" Kenzie wondered, "I mean, now that I think about it, Mari did seem pretty out of it before she came back here earlier. What if forcing them to talk to each other just makes it worse?"

"I think if they really want to work it out, they will," Kaylynn sighed, "And if they don't... Well... I guess that's just it."

"I agree," Ashton nodded solemnly, "And I think that if Mari doesn't want to come over tomorrow, then we shouldn't force her."

"Agreed," everyone said simultaneously. The boys and I got up, saying goodbye to the girls and leaving the room to head back home, unsure of what we were going to say to Calum – if we had anything to say to him at all.

~

Title: "Wherever You Are" by 5 Seconds of Summer

no one reads this so i might as well post it today lmao