Chapter 10: I'm Not Ready To Run, Can't Let You Go To Waste

Mari's POV

"Are you filming me again?" I heard Calum ask after I watched him look directly at my phone.

"What? Me?" I tried acting innocent, "I would never do that." He stared at me for a moment before looking back down at his guitar, trying to hide the fact that he was smiling.

"You've been spending too much time with Mike," he shook his head, beginning to strum the instrument again.

"You're just jealous because that time isn't spent with you," I scoffed jokingly.

I posted the Snapchat to my story before putting my phone in my pocket and getting up off the couch. I plopped down beside Calum, leaning on his arm and listening to him play. I was always so mesmerized by Calum's guitar playing, obviously being a fan before this tour, but I never thought I'd get to hear it in person – or this close up.

"You're really good," I murmured into his shirt, my eyes closed in content. He didn't say anything, but I could hear him smile.

"You play?" he asked softly.

"No," I chuckled, "I've asked Vanessa to teach me before, but I'm not very good. She's a great teacher, but I just can't pick up on it, I guess."

"It's not that hard once you get used to it," he told me, "You probably just need more practice."

Calum nudged me gently so I would sit up. Once I did, he moved his guitar to sit on my lap. He came over to sit on the other side of me, his arm wrapping around my neck so he could still reach the strings.

"We're gonna go over the basics first," he said, showing me where my fingers needed to go on the neck of the instrument.

Calum tried to help me for about half an hour – bless his heart – but I just wasn't catching on. I think he could tell I was getting upset with myself because every time I grumbled quietly, he would press a reassuring kiss to my cheek and tell me I was doing just fine. Of course, that only made me more nervous, but I kept focus the best I could.

Well, until someone else came into the room, anyway.

"Trying to learn how to play guitar again?" Kaylynn chuckled as she and Ashton came into the room.

"Yeah, and it's going about as well as it did when Vanessa tried teaching me," I sighed. Calum laughed softly in my ear, making my heart skip a beat.

"We'll just try some other time," he said, "You're getting frustrated and it's not easy to learn that way."

"Thanks for trying, Cal, but I think I'm just gonna stick to drums," I shook my head, leaning back on him slightly.

"Well, we just wanted to see if you guys wanted to go walk around the city before soundcheck," Ashton spoke up, "The others are taking naps."

"I'm in," I nodded, getting up, "Don't think Cal could keep up with us though."

"We'll see about that, drummer girl," he laughed again, standing up as well. We waited for him to put his guitar back in its case before setting off on our exploration.

~

A couple hours later, we all got lunch together before heading out for round two. The city was absolutely beautiful – I mean, it's Italy – but I was most excited when we decided to head toward the woods. We had split up into pairs – Kaylynn went with Ashton while I dragged Calum along with me – and we found a random little treehouse somewhere along the way. It was just a large piece of wood wrapped around the trunk about halfway up with a sketchy looking rope ladder, but the little kid in me immediately ran to it.