Chapter Ten - The pen

Start from the beginning

"You wouldn't want to do that," Keller pushes his jacket out of the way, revealing a gun in his belt.

"You still have my gun?"

He shrugs.

She shakes her head. "Keller if this is what you wanted the whole time, why did your man ask for the cut from the Paolini heist?"

"I didn't trust the guy to know all that you had to offer."

"Scared your man would go rogue on you?"

"You could say that."

"You know, I didn't even suspect you were behind any of this."

He chuckles. He plays with Daphne's gun that was now in her hand. "I was definitely pulling the strings. That was a great plan, eh, Daphne? Get my guy to drive your taxi, only to, take you to your own home to kidnap you? Man, you'd probably be dead in a basement right now if it weren't for Neal being there. And i'd be walking away with your money. But no worries, I'll end up with that last part. It only depends on you if someone dies for me to get it. I won't hesitate to shoot your uh, lover, maybe your dog, Peter, June. You've got plenty of people you care about."

"Why me, Keller?"

"You're easy. You always have been. This has been fun, Daphne. I suspect I'll see you in three days."

Neal, still outside the door, hears footsteps in his direction. He silently jogs down the hallway a bit, ducking behind a wall as Keller exits. Neal looks down, clicking the FBI pen off. He clutches it.

He sticks the pen back into his suit jacket. He takes deep breaths, waiting a moment. He hears the door downstairs shut. He steps out from the wall, and walks into his room, seeing Daphne who was left in the middle of the room.

She turns around, eyes widening when she sees him. "Oh god, did you-"

He walks up to her. He holds her shoulders. "What's going on? Are you okay?"

"Yeah... yeah I'm fine."

He brings her into a firm hug. "It's gonna be alright. But you have to tell me what the hell he wants from you." 

She stops, hesitating.

"Please," he insists, looking into her eyes.

She adjusts her hair, sighing. "After Ella died, and after I served time, I was given her will. She had left me... Well she left me $2 million dollars."

"What?"

"I know-"

"You're a closet millionaire?"

She purses her lips.

"How the hell did Keller find out?"

She shakes her head, looking away. "I don't know, the only person that could have known was-" her eyes widen.

"Was who?"

"Robert Bailey. Robert had to have known. When we were working together I asked him how he found me. He said he had people who went off book to look into me. Ella's will was taken into evidence before I got it, so it was on record somehow. Roberts' people probably found out there."

"Why would he have you do a heist? Why not go for the 2 million?"

"He didn't need that much. And it's not worth having that blood on his hands. Especially as a politician."

"But Keller doesn't care about that," Neal exhales.

"Keller probably went to Robert to know my whereabouts, and got more than he bargained for."

"Why would Keller be looking for you?"

"We had some... unfinished business. And, I uh, I shot him."

Neal chuckles, slightly pleased with this. "You what?"

"I shot him in the foot, back in the day. He never let that go. I hadn't seen him since then until right before my two months."

"You saw him when you went back to your house to grab Alden?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"I knew you were shaken up."

"I must be a worse con then I thought," she jokes.

"Well it's hard to hide your emotion after being with a guy like Keller, trust me, I know. But why did he kill Robert?"

"I have no idea." She runs her fingers through her hair. She glances out to the balcony.

"You're sure you're okay?"

"I'm okay, Neal. Don't worry about me. But, I'm gonna have to give him everything."

He shakes his head, a slight poker face showing. "What if you didn't have to?"

"What are you saying?"

He pulls out the pen. Her eyes light up. "You recorded him."

He nods. "He just confessed that he was behind everything, more specifically you and me almost getting taken. He has no idea we have this, we could use it."

"We can't tell Peter."

"I know, he threatened him too."

"What do we do, then?"

"I think I have an idea." 

__________________________________

Hey guys, sorry about the wait for this one. I felt like writing today and I thought I'd release a chapter for you as well. 

Shout outs to asaraberg and -theavoided for voting and reading, thank you :) 

Next chapter will be out soon, thanks to everyone for the support  ♡♡