Chapter 13: New Friend

Start from the beginning

“How could you tell?” She deadpanned.

He laughed. “Your expression.” He whispered in her ear.

She rolled her eyes, frowning at him. “I was being facetious.”

“I know. I was being purposely obtuse.” He smirked at her.

She glared at him. “I knew that…”

“No, you didn’t…” He poked her in the side.

She inched away from him. “Chenn Covalenti! Keep your hands to yourself!” She snapped in a low voice.

He grinned at her. “What? You don’t like me doing this?” He poked her again.

She resisted the urge to giggle. He’d hit a ticklish spot. “Chenn…” She tried to keep her face blank, but it was a struggle. “Stop, now.”

He poked her in the same spot, light dawning in his eyes. “Are you ticklish?” He whispered.

Her eyes widened. Oh, dear. He’s caught on… “N…No…” She stammered. “What gave you th..that impression?”

He smirked. “You are!” He accused.

“Chenn...” She raised her hands, trying to ward him off. “We’re in the dining hall… Now is neither the time nor the place to debate whether or not I’m ticklish.”

His smirk widened into a grin. “You are ticklish!”

“Of course not.” She scoffed, recovering her poise.

His eyes narrowed, and a strange smile spread over his face. “I think I’d like to test that theory.”

Her eyes went wide again. “Chenn! You wouldn’t!”

“Oh, but I would…”

***

Chenn grinned at her.

Her expression told him everything he needed to know. He wasn’t sure what images she was concocting in her head, but the look on her face told him that she was horrified with his implications.

The wide eyes and open mouth gave way to the usual narrowed eyes and frown.

Before she could respond, he stood and swept her up into his arms.

She stiffened in his grasp, her breathing stopping. Her heart pounded against her chest, and he could feel its erratic pulse against his chest as he held her against him.

“You might want to keep breathing.” He murmured in her ear, grinning.

“I…I” She spluttered. “Chenn Covalenti, you put me down this instant!” She hissed.

She was so much like a wet cat when angry. And he happened to be the one who had dumped the water on her.

“Nope.” He said, playing with her a little more.

Her eyes widened again, but this time it wasn’t surprise, it was fury when she realized he wasn’t complying with her commands. “Chenn!” Her tone was becoming more conciliatory now, and it was bordering on pleading.

No one was paying attention to them as he carried her out the back door. They had been sitting in the corner nearest the back exit – the place where no one sat or watched. That was probably why Nari had chosen to sit there – it was out of the sight of prying eyes – but it had just backfired on her.

She buried her face in his chest, her whole body still tense against his body. “Jerk.” She mumbled into his shirt.

He laughed. “I’ve heard worse.” He told her, not releasing his grip.