Chapter 2

I was in a shock.  My mom had absolutly no hair.  Her heartbeat was rapid.  

"That's her?"  I asked, not wanting to believe it.  

"Yes."  Principal Franklin said.  "I'll pick you up at around 3:00.  You can stay here for the day."

 He walked out of the room silently, leaving me alone.  I walked next to her, trying not to stare.  I didn't know what to do.  It took all of my effort not to breawk into tears.  She was the only thing I had left in this world, what would happen if she was gone?  I decided to copy what most movies do at times like this- hold their hands and talk to them.  After that the sick person usual wakes up.  Maybe it would do the same thing for me.  I grasped her limp hand in mine and started talking.  It was a lot harder than I thought, but soon the unspoken words pored out.  

"Well, um.  I love you.  I need you to be here.  I need you to fight it, not leave me alone.  I can't do it alone!"  I started sobbing.  "You are strong enough.  You can wake up.  You will go home, and life will go back to normal.  Please."  I squeezed out one more tear.  I just sat next to her the rest of the day, reflecting on how things used to be.  

"Marsha?  It's time to go home."  

I turned around, facing Principal Franklin.  

"This is my home.  That's just the hollow memory of what was."  I said, turning back around to face my mom.