Chapter 11 - Angel Eyes

Start from the beginning

Hana glanced over at Melisande who looked less enthused than she had been, before, then stepped up to Hana's side. "Um, hey? Could she, maybe, spend the night with me? You know where I live, now. So, maybe you can come and get her tomorrow? Or, I could bring her back?"

Ren knew that he should feel irritated, and normally he would be, but for some reason the request sounded acceptable to him. He looked at Hana, then to Melisande, "She'll be here, right?"

Melisande cooed, smiling at him. "Are you worried? That's so sweet."

Hana looked as reviled by the thought as he felt. "I just want to make sure that she doesn't plan on running away."

Melisande shook her head, "I'd make sure she didn't. Oh, if you wanted to bring some of her clothes by, as you can see, she's a few sizes smaller than me."

Ren nodded slowly as Hana gaped at her, "I will bring them, myself."

Hana had yet to stop being surprised by Melisande, her miraculous appearance, her gorgeous priest friend, which something would have to be done about, and now getting Ren to leave her here. After Ren left, Hana looked at Melisande in shock. "How did you do that?

Melisande appeared confused, looking at Hana, "Do what?"

Hana gestured toward the door, "Uh, that."

She shrugged, "I just asked. Your fiance is really nice, and oh my god, so hot. I'm totally jealous."

The words practically reeked of her envy. Hana wondered how envious Melisande would be if she knew what kind of world Ren and she came from, and what kind of person he was. "Don't be. None of them are 'nice.'"

Melisande looked confused, but must have brushed it off. "You're nice."

Hana laughed a little bitterly. She knew she wasn't "nice," but she wasn't about to argue with her. Hana could feel herself beginning to twitch. She rubbed her left forearm with her right hand, an ache began a few hours back. She might have to go back with Ren when he came back to drop off her clothes. She had no idea where to get a fix around here. "Tell me more about your friend at the church."

Melisande changed over to the topic of Niall, easily, "I feel like I've known him forever. But I've only known him about five years. He's one of my best friends. He decided to take his vows a few years ago, and has been going forward with it for about two years, I think? It's a huge shame, because... I mean, he's such a good-looking guy. All that for God, you know?"

Hana wasn't sure what to think of Melisande's blithe laughter. A twinge of jealousy shot through her, and she stood up, knowing that if she stuck around much longer, with the itch, she may end up saying something she'd regret. "I think I'm going back home when they bring my clothes back."

The fact that Melisande had lived a sheltered life showed in her concern. There was no knowledge of what addiction looked like. Instead, she asked if Hana was alright, or if there was anything she could do to help her. Soon enough, a plate of food was also settled before her. Mel had been in the middle of making lunch when Ren stopped by. "You should eat before you go. I mean, I know it's not Japanese. Maybe we can go to church another day..."

"It's fine."

Even while driving back with a set of Hana's clothing, Ren was trying to figure out exactly what happened back there. He had not intended on leaving without Hana, and both Hiroki and Chris were surprised when he came out empty-handed. Not only had he left without her, but he was doing something that he would have normally sent an underling to do. Here he was, driving back to give her clothes. "Her." He thought about that idea, then laughed. Oh, if that girl only knew the truth about Hana. Even Hiroki hadn't known about Hana's secret, it had been kept that well. He was shocked when he found out, but figured that just meant there would be no merged children to worry about. The Lords seemed capricious regarding whether they would allow their citizens to interact so intimately with those from this other world.