Chapter 41: 5.22.2 Swan Song

ابدأ من البداية

"Happy birthday."

The Nephilim turned to see her uncle stare at her with a smirk. Her heart clenched in her chest when she stared back into Sam's hazel eyes. They were no longer his. Eyes that had once been filled with compassion, love, and just a sliver of hope were now cold, evil, and murderous. Eyes that once belonged to a hero now belonged to a villain.

"I'm surprised you showed. I mean, I figured you'd be out with Dean celebrating. Twenty-seven candles, yeah?" Lucifer said. Cassandra crossed her arms over her chest and raised her eyebrows. Lucifer rolled his eyes—Sam's eyes—and shook his head. "Cassandra, your father will be here soon and I'm sure he'll kill you before he tries to kill me," Lucifer told her with a soft chuckle. Cassandra shrugged and started to walk, gently running her fingertips over the wooden crosses and deteriorating headstones that she passed by.

"Someone has to make sure you both die," she replied calmly, stopping just a few feet from the devil. She looked up. Her eyes were cold and hopeless. "And someone has to keep Dean and the rest of Humanity safe."

Lucifer chuckled and shook his head. "You actually think that you can stop us? Even with my Grace coursing through your veins you're still weaker than us, especially combined." Cassandra pursed her lips in thought and inhaled sharply.

"Back in Lincoln you declared me an enemy yet you still haven't killed me after being given chance after chance. I mean, that's what enemies do, right? Kill each other?" Lucifer pressed his lips in a thin line, remaining quiet at her words. Cassandra pointed a finger in his direction as she slowly approached him, trying not to let the fact that she was staring at Sam throw her off. "Or maybe you don't see me as an enemy. Maybe, unlike Michael, you weren't lying when you said you loved me. Maybe you realize that you actually do need me to survive this battle. Maybe, just maybe, the only reason you kept me alive back in Carthage was because you still had hope that I'd take your side."

"You're good at reading people, Cassandra. You should've become a therapist," Lucifer taunted. Cassandra smirked and shook her head.

"Yeah, well, Fate and Destiny had other plans for this abomination," she retorted. She circled around the archangel, studying him. "You're scared. I can practically smell the fear radiating off of you. You don't want to kill your brother, not really. But it's either kill Michael or spend another eternity in the Cage...or worse."

"You act so brave for such a fragile, little girl," Lucifer told her. "Maybe Dean's rubbed off on you more than you thought." Lucifer's lips curled into a smirk as he breathed in deeply. "You reek of his scent. Slutting around with him, I see. I suppose that isn't as awkward anymore now that he's not daddy's vessel."

Cassandra scowled and clenched her fists at her sides. She didn't reply, though, because the flutter of wings cut her off. She spun around, her expression faltering at the sight of Adam. But it wasn't Adam. Not really. She knew that it was her father in his skin. The thought sent rage-driven adrenaline pumping through her veins.

"It's good to see you, Michael," Lucifer greeted. Michael raised his chin slightly, nodding curtly.

"You, too. It's been too long. Can you believe it's finally here?" Michael asked, starting to approach his younger brother. Cassandra stepped off to the side and Michael glanced at her briefly but didn't pay her much attention. He wasn't there for her. Not yet, at least.

"No. Not really," Lucifer admitted. Michael nodded, almost as if he were agreeing.

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be." Lucifer paused, sucking in a deep breath. "A part of me wishes we didn't have to do this." Michael nodded again. Cassandra could see the reluctance in his eyes and she almost felt sympathetic for him. Almost.