Chapter 25

Jennifer slid her dress on and smoothed it over her stomach. She'd done this thousands of times before, but this time felt different. There was always a chance of things going wrong, but tonight was more serious. It was the first time in a long time she actually believed she might die.

"If you were robbing me, I'd give you anything you wanted," said Austin from behind her.

She smiled at the unexpectedness of his charm. Not that it was surprising for him. Austin was always charming, a constant that she desperately needed right now. "Make yourself useful and zip me." She put her back to him.

They had spent half the day prepping for the night. Everyone had split up to take care of what they needed on their own ends. She'd gotten the number-one tool for herself—a dress—and some of the basic items that could get her through a lock and keypad—some AUX and USB cords and a jailbroken phone that she could use to get through basic keypads.

Isobel had gone on a makeup run and Jennifer had hit her up for some of those necessities.

"I don't know if I should be impressed that you found a dress that perfect for your body or just admit that you'd look amazing in whatever you wear."

She gave him a half-smile as she studied him through the mirror. "I don't remember the last time I wore anything red. Normally I try to blend in." This dress was going to guarantee Stranger saw her. If his eyes were on her, that would give Weston a chance to get to Melody and Isobel a chance to get to Stranger's office.

The body-contouring dress was skintight. The only thing that made it manageable was ironically the fact that it was so short. At least her legs could move. The dress would look better if her hair was down, but she didn't want to hide her face. Instead, she'd twisted the long, dark strands into a French knot and curled a few of the loose strands to frame her face.

He pulled the zipper up and seemed to move closer to her every second. "I think red looks great on you," he said softly, his breath brushing against her ear.

"Stop that," she murmured.

"Stop what?" he asked, knowing full well what he was doing.

"Stop making me want you to move that zipper back down."

He turned her in his arms. "This much charm can't just be turned off." He looked down at her.

"I don't know what's worse—the fact that you're so cocky or the fact that you're right about it half the time."

"It's one of the things you love about me."

Love? He seemed to realize what he said at the same time she did but when she started to take a step back he held her tighter. "It didn't mean anything," he said even as he bent in closer and pressed his forehead against hers.

She let her eyes drift closed and savored the feel of his body so close to hers. Love was such a strong word, especially combined with all the other emotions she'd been fighting this week. Excitement, terror, anger, lust....

But it wasn't like Austin was some random guy she was using to get off with. That was the plan but it was so far from what was happening. He felt so good right now not just because he was warm and strong. But she knew it was Austin holding her. It was Austin who was offering support.

Maybe not love, but it was something.

So when his lips touched hers, she didn't think about the lipstick she was going to have to retouch or the hair that was falling out of place as he touched her neck.

The kiss started slow. Austin's mouth moved insistently over hers, coaxing and taking everything she was willing to give. But soon it turned into something more. He coaxed and lured, promising her pleasure and bliss without saying a word. Promising that for these last few minutes before they faced Stranger and put their lives on the line, they could at least have this pleasure.