Chapter Six: Scene 2

The night before the handoff, James, Rand, and Bacchus ate at the Scorned Maiden. Hamel was there as well, with Thalia at his side. James sat with Rand and Bacchus at their usual table, keeping his back to Hamel and Thalia so he wouldn’t see them together. His friends must have noticed Thalia’s comings and goings from James’s quarters by now, just as they had noticed her growing favor with Lord Hamel. They didn’t ask any questions, and James offered no explanation.

Gerred came in after the dancing finished, flanked by two of his men. James saw him first and signaled to Rand and Bacchus. The guildmaster planted his feet just inside the door, face dark, and swept his gaze over the room. Then he took a meandering path, first dropping by Hamel’s table to say his greetings before approaching the three of them.

“It’s the trade caravans, is it?” said Gerred. There was no pretense of friendliness this time.

“Fixing to pick up some extra coin? Buy yourself some allies?”

So Gerred’s spies earned their pay after all. “Nothing like that, Gerred,” James told him. “The extra coin, yes, but it’s for our own purposes. Nothing to do with you.”

Bacchus spat on the ground. “If we wanted to give you trouble, we wouldn’t have to buy help to get it done.”

Gerred’s face reddened. Bacchus shifted his weight imperceptibly, and Gerred’s eyes flickered toward the movement.

“You really want to bring out weapons, Bacchus?” Gerred’s voice was dangerously low.

Bacchus shrugged. “I in’t doing anything if you don’t.” All around them was the buzz of the crowd. The tavern’s other patrons were oblivious to their conversation.

“I told you, Gerred,” said James. “We’ve no interest in taking what’s yours. We’re taking the coin and leaving the city. You can have the Guild.”

Gerred fell silent, and James loosened his dagger from his bindings. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Rand doing the same. Three of them, against Gerred’s three. The room was cramped and lit only by a few lanterns, which would complicate things, but they’d always chosen the corner table because it was easier to defend.

Meanwhile, Gerred was still looking at him with suspicion. “Is that really it?” he asked.

“I swear that’s all there is.”

Gerred turned slowly and walked away. Before James could let out a breath, Gerred passed by Hamel’s table and yanked Thalia out of her chair. She cried out in surprise. James jumped to his feet, but Gerred’s knife was already to her throat. “You really think I’m simple-minded enough to believe a story like that?” The side doors slammed open, and more of Gerred’s crew rushed in. The room echoed with chairs scraping back as people realized what was happening.

Lord Hamel’s voice cut through the crowd. “What is this, Gerred?” The nobleman jerked his head, and two brawny men that James recognized as Hamel’s bodyguards advanced on the guildleader.

Gerred backed up, pulling Thalia with him. “Your dancing lass has been helping some of my men undermine the Guild.”

James felt a brief wave of relief that Gerred didn’t know about Thalia’s own plans.

“I’ve no interest in your petty politics,” snapped Hamel. “Don’t harm her.”

Gerred gave Hamel a disbelieving look. “Are you really that attached to her, Steffen? There’s plenty of others. I’ll give you the next month’s jobs for free.”

Hamel turned an eye on Gerred, intrigued. “It’s that important to you?” he asked. Thalia stood completely still, rigid beneath the assassin’s blade.