xii. childish dreams

Depuis le début

     But for some reason, as the silence continues and stretches on, Maggie feels the urge to say something about it. She nervously tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear, and repeats the action on the other side. "I found out about my powers when I was ten years old." A nervous breath escapes her lips and she can see she clearly has Erik's attention on her by the way he is staring at her. "I don't really remember much from when I was little, but that day has always been with me."

    Once again she tucks a piece of hair away from her face, and she tries to mirror Erik's comfortable position and  rests her hands in her lap and straightens her back slightly before continuing, "It was a hot day in summer, there was this small lake near my home, but no one really came there unless the weather was great. And this kid, he couldn't swim, but he accidentally fell into a much deeper part, and went under."

     She swallows, trying to calm her racing heart down,"A couple seconds turned in a minute and nobody but me had seen him go under, and I acted on instict. I ran towards him, and I lifted my arm up for some reason and snapped my eyes shut— it's kind of a blur really, and when I opened them, the lake had parted and the kid was safe."

     "After that, everything changed, for the worse. My parents and I had to leave town, we never really stayed anywhere long. My parents were frightened someone would felt out about me."

     "I ruined their dreams because of what I am and this stupid curse I was born with." She stated bitterly, eyes casted downwards towards her shaking hands ans she clasped onto the rough material of her jeans.

     "You're powers are a miracle."

     Maggie notices how sure he sounds of himself, his voice does not waver nor does  he hesitate to say it out loud, and for a single moment, and unfamiliar feelings swells inside of her stomache.

     "I wish I could see it like that." Maggie  whispers softly.

     "you—"

     Hard knocking on the bathroom door startles the chesnut haired woman out of her thoughts, heart jumping down her throat as she shuts the water off and she quickly wrappes a towel around herself. "What is it?"

     "Charles wants to see you outside," Hank sounds out of breath, like he has been running before coming to her room.

     "I'll be there in a minute!"

ᵒ

ᵒ .༄ ࿐ ࿔* 🌊♟💦
⋆⋅ ━━━━ ‧ ༻✩༺ ‧ ━━━━ ⋅⋆ 

    THE OUTSIDE OF CHARLES' MANOR IS JUST AS BREATHTAKING AS THE INSIDE, WITH A VASTE LANDSCAPE STRETCHES OUT AS FAR AS SHE CAN SEE, WITH BEAUTIFUL OAKTREES GROWING TALL, but what catches Maggie's eye immediately is the large lake that almost glitters in the sunlight. It looks peaceful and welcoming to her and subconsciously her feet carry her down the gravel path and to the lake.