xvi. Missing

[➵]

[➵]

"So this is goodbye, hmm?" Melanie questioned as she absentmindedly twirled a piece of hair with her ring adorned finger. The shine reflecting from the ring did not go unnoticed. "Yes... so it seems." Rebekah questioned, eyes focused on the ring before she grabbed Melanie's hand. "What is this?!" She questioned the bird annoyed. Melanie quickly retracted her hand. "A gift." She replied simply. Rebekah eyed her inquisitively before speaking. "Did you seriously fall for it? Nik throws you a bone and you take the bait. You of all people should know not to trust him." Rebekah spat incredulously. With a sigh she momentarily turned her attention to the red convertible she adored. After parting ways with her brothers, Rebekah had chosen to part with her best friend.

     "I'm failing to see how accepting a ring equates to trust. It looked nice so I took it." Melanie replied nonchalantly as she flexed her hand to admire the ring. Rebekah laughed breathily with a shake of her head. "And so it seems, the golden bird is yet again trapped in the jaws of a silver fox." Melanie mocked Rebekah's fake laugh. "Ha Ha! Are we here to bicker like teens? Or to say goodbye before you dart off into the unknown?" Defeated and generally not in the mood to fight, Rebekah sighed before reneging. "Mel, my love, just please be safe." She spoke as she opened her arms for a hug. Melanie begrudgingly went into her arms. "And please please please do not let the past repeat itself. Please remain vigilant." Rebekah encouraged as Melanie huffed. "Of course, Beks, always." She mumbled as they parted.

    Rebekah walked over to her car lingering at the door. "Mel?"

     "Hmm?" Melanie hummed, eyes glossy.

     "Thick as thieves?" Rebekah questioned with a faint smile.

     "Forever and more."

[➵]

     Melanie cursed, eyes glancing at the time when she realized how late she was. She'd left Hayley alone with the intentions of being out for an hour- but an hour had somehow turned into four. She hurried back to Mikaelson Manor knowing Elijah would have her head if he knew she'd left Hayley unattended, especially if something had happened during her absence. She opened a black hole and immediately stepped through to the other side and was greeted by the Mikaelson Manor. She rushed to enter the house but immediately froze when she heard Elijah's voice.

    "Hayley?"

     Melanie scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. Why didn't Hayley reply? She thought confused. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Elijah's voice again. "Melanie?!" Oh Fuck. She thought sourly when the realization had dawned on her. Hayley was missing and it was all because she'd skipped out on watch duty. With a huff she quickly ran up to Hayley's room where Elijah was on the verge of freaking out. "Where were you?!" He immediately snapped the second she stepped in the room. She didn't have time to answer before he continued. "Hayley is missing! How is that possible? Because you weren't watching her!" Elijah raved. "Melanie this is beyond foolish of you! I trusted you with one simple thing: Make sure nothing happens to Hayley. I trusted you with her!" He ranted. He took a deep breath indicating he was about to continue but Melanie swiftly cut him off.

      "Okay. Enough. I get it. You're upset because I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing but relax, calm down, and remind yourself who you're talking too. Because don't think for a second that I won't chin check you for talking to me like that." She scolded. Elijah's eyes burned brightly as he looked her. "You're impossible." He spoke. Though verbally he'd left it at that, mentally he was calling her every name in the book. Melanie rolled his eyes as he continued being a brat. Deciding to use his energy to be productive, Elijah took his phone out of his pocket and calling Rebekah. Melanie internally sighed knowing that Rebekah was probably half way across the country already. The phone rang a few times before she picked up and Elijah put it on speakerphone.

"Goodbye means goodbye, Elijah."

"Is she with you?" He immediately questioned getting straight to the point.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Hayley's gone, where is she?" He tried again but Melanie knew it was useless. She could tell just by Rebekah's tone that she had no idea what Elijah was talking about. Rebekah also wasn't that good at keeping her thoughts and emotions to herself, she would've easily given herself up earlier when they said goodbye. "WHAT?" Rebekah practically screamed on the line. Before anyone could talk or answer, Klaus came barreling into the room looking just as distraught. "Marcel was here." Elijah absentmindly dropped the phone as Rebekah screamed in the background. "That bastard." Melanie cursed annoyed. Klaus's attention shifted to Melanie and then her finger. He visibly relaxed at the sight of it on her, but tensed back up when Elijah picked up the phone.

"Rebekah, I'll talk to you later." He rushed before hanging up and looking at the pair across from him. "What should we do?" He questioned curious as to what two of the most sadistic people he knew- would say. Nik smirked, a familar look of questionable michevous intent. "I say we go get our girl back, the Mikaelson way." Melanie chuckled causing Elijah to raise a brow. "You really mean- kill everyone on sight until they give us Hayley."She said humorously. "What's wrong with that, Little Bird? Don't tell me you don't want to get your hands dirty- side by side. Like old times." He smirked. Elijah looked at them apprehensively. He didn't like the direction things were going but he was going to do  whatever it took to get Hayley back. "Of course, love. Elijah?" She questioned expectantly. He looked at them concerned, not really sure how he felt about the way Melanie and Klaus seemed to be bonding.

"....I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

Nik grinned happily but also very sadistically. "Let's get to it then- family style."