"Pretending like you don't know again?"

                I gave my usual quiet smile.

"Sooner or later, they'll make you choose one of those beauties"

                None of those so call "beauties" interest me. Their heavy scent of flowers and honey is nauseating. And none of their voices held any genuine character.

"Xing, are you listening to me?"

                It amazes me how chatty this cousin of mine was. Doesn't he get tired?

"Hey Xing!"

                I waved him off while I made my way out of the palace.

"Your highness"

                Jumao greeted me as soon as I entered the estate.

"Where is mother?"

"In the bedroom"

                So I went to my mother's bedroom - the room by the cliff. Once I entered, the cold wind circled the space.

"Juyi, you're home"

                No one but my mother's voice held such tenderness. Soft and light like Spring air.

"Mother"

                I went to her side and she immediately took hold of my hand.

"Mother finished the vest"

                My mother stood to put the fur vest on me.

"Winter is coming soon, mother made this vest from the fox fur you gave her"

"Mother" I took hold of my mother's small hand. "I gave you the fur so that you could make something warm for yourself"

                My mother didn't respond but I could feel her soft smile.

"Here" I reached in my robe for the turtle jade. "For you, mother"

"Oh... how lovely"

                I doubt there was anything in this world more lovely than my mother.

"Do you like it?"

"Yes. I love it"

                I smiled when my mother hand lifted to touch my cheek.

"Where is my vest?"

                My father's sudden question did not surprised me like it did my mother. I had long sense his presence before he entered through the doors. My frail mother, on the other hand, slightly jumped with surprised at the unexpected appearance of my father.

"Jian, you're home"

"Yes"

                I was pushed out the way by my own father, just so he could take hold of mother's hands.

"Now, where is my vest?"

"V_ vest? Ruyi only made one for Juyi"

                I smiled while silence spread throughout the room. Only the sound of wind from the cliff could be heard.

"So you prepare a winter vest for your son but neglect to make one for your husband?"

"But Jian never wear_"

"If you think to make one for the boy, you must make one for me as well"

                Not wanting to get stuck in the middle of my father and mother's usual "fights", I made my way out of the room. Considering the situation, I figured father would keep mother in the room for a while - at least till dinner time. Until then, I head to the study to practice calligraphy. Mother is happy whenever I write simple characters for her.

                With a smile, I touched the soft fur vest. Those questions I once asked now suddenly becomes so clear.

What is beauty?

Beauty is the fur vest made with love and care from the hands of my mother.

What is darkness? What is light?

Darkness is when my mother is sad. Light is when my mother is happy.

What is color? What is green?

Color have no meaning to me. Only green held significance - because green is the color my mother loves most.

END