JUYI

I was born without sight.

What is beauty?

What is darkness? What is light?

What is color? What is green?

                It amuses me when my cousin, Wu Shen described what beauty is. For a woman to be beautiful, she must have white skin, small nose, big eyes, and bountiful breasts.

                It amuses me when my great grandmother, the Grand Empress Dowager Wenqian explained what is darkness and what is light. Darkness is like the moonless, starless night. Light is when the sun rises, filling the sky with white and blue.

                It amuses me when imperial tutor listed all the known colors of the world. Teaching me that green is the color of vast field of Wu Xi.

                It was amusing to hear them tell me what I cannot see.

Was it important for me to have sight?

                As soon as I could walk, father taught me what it meant to be strong. Every time I sparred with him, I used my ears to see movements – listened to the air around us to predict his attacks and defenses. The key to strength is being fearless. Without fear, one will not hesitate to live or die.

What is there to fear?

                Father gave me full command over the masked soldiers. Royal great uncle, the Emperor gave me the seal which have control over 500,000 soldiers of Wu Xi. No one had dared to offend me thus far. Those who did, Wu Shen have already gotten rid of.

                It was amusing that they think I need protection because I cannot see.

"Your highness Prince Long Xing!"

                I was lying up on the tall tree branch, having my usual afternoon rest when voices disrupted the peace. Not bothering to respond to the frantic group of eunuchs, I continued to relax against the tree trunk.

                A slight movement stirred the air at my right. With a flicked of my hand, I easily returned the small stone back to the assailant.

"Ouch!"

                Smirking, I sat up and turned to the familiar voice.

"Xing, that really hurts!"

                I purposely put some force in the stone to make it hurt.

"Oh, I didn't know it was you Shen"

"Like hell you didn't!"

                Smiling, I leaned back against the tree.

"Come down here!"

                I pretended not to hear him.

"You're blind, not deaf! I know you heard me! Come down!"

                If I didn't want to come down, no one could force me.

"Xing, Grand Imperial Sire is asking for you"

                Of course he did. The old man probably wants to play chess again.

"He wants to play chess with you"

                Laughing softly, I continued to feel the nice breeze. The scent of the leaves let me know it was already autumn.

"Xing, Grand Imperial Sire said he'll give you the turtle jade if you win this time"