Chapter 3

"Sophie!" I could just barely hear a voice shout.

I blinked, looking around. I was laying down, propped up against the wall.

Everything was foggy, all I remember is that everything felt hot.

All I can remember up to that is that after the fire started, I immediately tried to put it out. Bad choice.

"Shit!" I ran over and tried to put out theirs by stepping on it, but I slipped and fell on the glass.

I screamed, rolling over and holding my bloody, burnt hands in front of my face.

There were blisters starting to form from touching the hot glass and scarlet liquid oozed from the cuts.

Suddenly I felt an intense burning in my left thigh.

I screamed, rolling over and standing up.

Without me realizing, the fire had crept right up to where I was laying.

I didn't know where to go without getting a third degree burn.

Then, I looked over at my phone.

It was in the next room.

If I could just get to it-

The smoke started to fill my lungs, causing me to breathe improperly.

I coughed, earning me nothing but a scratched throat.

I started across the room, trying to step over any fire.

I fell suddenly, my leg where I got burnt going numb.

I was so close to the phone.

It sat there on the base, taunting me.

I began to drag myself, cringing as I pulled my burning flesh against the shag carpet.

My fingers just reached the phone. I hit it, knocking it off the charger. It fell behind the couch.

The air was extremely thin now, I almost couldn't breathe.

Then, I finally couldn't stand the feeling of my open flesh pressing against the rug, so I propped myself up against the wall.

Then, I heard shouting.

•-------------------------------------------------•

~Third Person POV~

Kevin Ryan stood in his kitchen, drinking a late night cup of coffee in a 12 Precinct NYPD mug.

As he took another sip, something caught his eye.

He looked out his window, squinting. He saw a soft, glowing orange light in the distance.

It hit him hard when he realized it was filling the house, and smoke was pouring through the windows.

Then horror washed over him when he realized it was Sophie's house.

The mug dropped out of his hand and smashed on the ground.

He grabbed his keys as he ran out the door to his car, fumbling with the door handle.

"Come on- come on!" he shouted angrily as he tried to unlock the car door and finally, it opened.

He hopped it and started the engine, pulling the car out of the driveway and speeding down the street.

He quickly arrived just outside the house and ran in.

"Sophie!" he yelled. "Sophie! Sophie where are you?!"

He scanned the room to see her propped up against the wall with bloody, blistered hands and the flesh of her right thigh nearly burnt to a crisp.

"Sophie!" he shouted as he rushed forward, but just as he did her eyes locked shut.

"Sophie- come on, wake up. Sophie!" he yelled, lightly slapping her cheek. She didn't respond.

He scooped her up bridal-style and rushed out of the house.

He quickly opened the back door of his car and lay her down on the leather seats before hopping in the front and rolling down all the windows as he sped to the hospital.

•-------------------------------------------------•

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I blinked, looking around. I was in a hospital bed, hooked up to a monitor.

"What the-"

"Oh, hey kid!" I heard a voice say.

I looked over to see Castle walking in with a fast-food bag. "You're up earlier than expected."

"Oh yeah?" I asked, yawning. "And when was I expected to wake up?"

Castle shrugged. "Couple more hours. Here." he said, handing me a bag.

I looked inside to find a 10-piece chicken nuggets and fries.

"Hell yeah." I said, reaching in and snatching up a fry. "Where's Kev?"

"Oh, he wanted to wait for you but he had a date with Jenny, so here I am." He grinned, doing jazz hands.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, how lucky I am. And who's Jenny?" I asked.

Castle froze, slowly turning, a cheeseburger shoved halfway in his mouth. He slowly took it out. "He didn't tell you?"

I raised an eyebrow. "No? Who is she?"

"Um.. his fiancé.."

I spit my soda out of my mouth. "His what?" My brother. Has a. Fiancé. And. He. Did. Not. Tell. Me?

"N-now Sophie, let's be reasonable-"

"HE HAS A FIANCÉ. THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SAYING, CORRECT?"

"Please stop yelling."

"AM I CORRECT?"

"..yes."

"Give me your phone." I told him calmly, extending my arm out.

"Sophie-"

"PHONE. Please." I opened my palm and sighing, he put his phone in it.

"Thank you." I told him, scrolling through his contacts until I found 'Detective Ryan'.

I pressed call, but it went straight to voice mail. "Oh hey Kev. I just wanted to tell you I woke up, but um you're probably too busy being ON A DATE WITH THE FIANCÉ YOU DIDNT TELL ME ABOUT. Call me when you get the chance. Bye." I angrily pressed 'End'.

"I cannot believe him." I said handing Castle his phone. "Why wouldn't he tell me he's getting married?"

"Well, to be fair, he just told us the other day." Castle interrupted, with a good point..

I sighed. "I'm still mad at him."

"Sorry I brought it up." Castle apologized. "But you can't really be mad at him, he's the one who dragged you out of that fire."

I blinked. "He did? Wow. I feel like a jerk then."

Castle nodded.  "I, who have no sisters or brothers, look with some degree of innocent envy on those who may be said to be born to friends."

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you quoting James Boswell?"

"Damn! I thought you wouldn't notice." Castle exclaimed and I chuckled. "Ok, Castle I think I'm going to get some sleep." I told him.

"Oh, you want me to leave?" He asked, standing.

"Or you can watch me sleep, which is kind of creepy." I told him, raising my eyebrows.

He nodded. "I'm gonna.." and motioned to the door awkwardly.

I nodded and said "Yeah."

Then, he left and I fell back asleep.