1525 Summer part II

Start from the beginning

My palms begin to sweat and my thumbs twitch. This is the source of my worry and the question I knew I would have to answer, for he was not a stupid man and he could work out the dates easily enough. My throat clenches and I am not sure how I managed to squeak out the necessary words. "The child is a few months into fruition. You are the father."    

"Are you certain, Kat." He urges.

"Yes, without a doubt. I and William have not shared intimacies, he can only be yours." I say adamantly.

His face breaks into a true grin, not a play, but that of real excitement. He ushers me further away, down towards an outer alcove, where the resemblance of privacy feels more real. When he is satisfied there are no prying eyes he pulls me into a close embrace. "Kat, this is wondrous news, however, why are you only telling me now?" He asks.

He is astute in his questions, asking only the ones I fear to truthfully answer. His warm embrace, although quick, and the joy across his features gives me a calm sense of peace. I can feel how easy it would be to forget the cruel Henry, even the unfaithfulness. He has a power, that drags you into his circle and makes you bend to his will. Even though, I feel a need to speak the truth and tell him of my desire, my fear of competition, and every choice which has prevented me from telling him; I also fear too. I am aware of the change in him, the anger he can display, and I am not willing to face such displeasure again.

I choose my next words carefully. "I did not know until recently. Once I realized, I found it hard to gain an audience with you. It was news I wished to tell you personally." I recite the words my husband told me to say. I could not tell him that I feared he would move onto another lover, and in any case, my nightmare had played out regardless.

His eyes squint every so slightly, I am learning to read the traits of the courtiers and the King, it is not a cheerful motion but one of deep thought. I wait for him to speak. "Ah, Kat. I am deeply pleased, beyond explanation but... this news is dangerous and untimely." He finally says.

I gape at his words, not quite understanding what he means and can only repeat the words back to him. "How can it be dangerous or untimely?" I ask. He shifts uncomfortably and I can envision his mind jumping from thought to thought. He needed an explanation because I did not understand his statement, not one bit.      

"You must depart to your husband's estate and tell no one of your condition. You may return to the court once you have been churched and deemed fit for public life." He says simply.

"Wait..What?!  You want me to depart from the court." I shriek forgetting myself. 

"Kat, darling." He replies soothingly, brushing over my outburst. "I am a King and although this is the greatest news you could have bestowed upon me, I must think of England first and foremost."

"How is carting me off to the countryside to give birth to your child of any benefit to England?" I demand. "A child only shows your virality as a man."

He laughs at my words, enjoying his own self-image before turning serious once more. "Listen, Kat. I have just raised my first born bastard into peerage in the hope that one day he will succeed me and keep the Tudor line strong. The whole court is aware of Mary's condition and should she have a son, others might want the same destiny for him. I can not have a third bastard playing for Kingship" He replies thoughtfully.

"That is ludicruos. Mary may give birth to a daughter." I say defiantly.

Henry's face becomes pained. "You may also bare a daughter. You must know that all my offspring will be well provided for whether they be a son or a daughter. However, you must understand having three known bastard sons can be as dangerous as having no son's at all."

"I do not understand your reasoning. If you can raise one son to peerage you can raise three. They can be raised together as Tudor brothers." I urge although, the thought of mine and Mary's children like brothers did not appeal, it was worth a try to make him see sense.

He sighs in aspiration. "If I should die, I want my son to inherit. I do not see Katherine providing me with any more issue and so I must raise my young Henry to inherit. It is a dangerous thing to do for it opens the throne up for other claimants and other bastards, especially if those bastards are also raised. Imagine... the country would be torn once more, every faction picking their preferred ruler. Look at our history! Look at the three sons of York." He replies passionately.

I bristle at his words, they are fears that cloud his judgment, making no sense. If what he says is true he has already drawn up the battleground between his own children - the Princess Mary and the Duke Bastard - by raising him in the first place. I know English history and I have read about the battles and control fought over by the York Prince's and Warrick. "You have the power to lay a succession. You can write the order and it would be legal." I say through gritted teeth.

"The York Prince's had a clear line of succession and in the end, it ended with the next heirs presumed dead and brother fighting brother in a bloody war which only ended with their deaths." He replies.

I refrain myself from stating that it was those wars which had allowed his own father to take the throne and try a different tactic. "Henry, you can not disown your own son," I say pleadingly.

He rests a strong hand upon my shoulder. "I am not disowning, just not acknowledging him unless I need to. It is in the best interests for the realm and our son."

I can not keep control of my emotions such gracious news being burned to ash, "Our son will be older than Mary's you do him an injustice." I hiss.

"No, Kat. I do him a great service. He can grow up without the politics and threats. In due time he will be welcomed to court and hold a position on his own accord and merit, without my name." He says easily.

I am in shock. This news was meant to secure his love for me once more and give my shining star of a son a bright future. It was all turning so wrong and I do not know how to resolve the matter. My son will not be acknowledged, it was all for nothing.

"I will arrange with your husband the move.  You rest, Kat. See yourself well and bear a healthy child." He kisses me farewell a gentle kiss like a doting brother and it sends fury through my bones.

This will not stand. I will not let it. I feel rage building up within me and know if I do not find an outlet I will scream until the walls crumble around me. I feel an intense desire to have my way, to show I am not to be pushed to the side and forgotten.