Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

I was in a dress that reached the floor. The top was high cut and didn’t show off any cleavage but it had no sleeves like a tank top. It hugged my body until it reached my belly button then flowed out slightly. It wasn’t as big and puffy as some of the dresses that the people wore in the time period I was going to, but the royal purple colour and gems all over it would compensate for it.

My mom had curled my hair and put it up into a messy bun sort of thing and I wore a little bit of makeup that made me look like a completely different person. Over the year that I was gone I hadn’t watched how my body had changed or how I looked so much older.

My hair even grew so much but I didn’t notice because I had always put it up. I was so surprised.

When I returned to the room, it was still empty from all the maids. I guess I might have just left because nothing has seemed to have changed, not even the suns position in the sky which was still setting. I sighed and patted down my dress then heard a yell in the hallway. “What do you mean she kicked you out?”

There was some mumbling and I tried not to laugh. Oh Griffin.

“She wanted to get ready herself?!”

The door swiftly opened and I turned around to look at a very angry Griffin. Once he saw me he was in awe, then he went to being annoyed. “Well, you look amazing in purple. I’ll give you that.”

I smiled at him, “thank you, it looks so much better than that ugly pink.”

He laughed and rolled his eyes, “okay, c’mon. Let’s get going. The king wants to meet you.”

I smiled happily as I took his arm and he brought me out. We followed a couple guards to the ball room where there was already a dance in full swing. We stopped in the entrance way and the music stopped momentarily to tell everyone that we had arrived.

I freaked out inside momentarily before the music started playing again and we were led up to four thrones where three people were seated. Griffin leaned down to bow and I curtsied as well.

“Ah Griffin, it is so nice to see you once again!” The old fat man said joyfully as he got up from his chair.

Griffin stepped up one of the steps and they hugged like they were old friends.

“You haven’t aged a day!” Griffin said gleefully.

The old man laughed, “yea right! You’re the one who hasn’t aged at all!”

They both laughed and Griffin turned to me, “Abigail, this is King Henry, one of my oldest friends.”

The king smiled and I curtsied then he took my hand and kissed it. “I would like for you to also meet my wife, Queen Beatrice, and my son, Prince Lucian.”

I smiled and bowed my head to each of them, the queen smiled back to me and the prince just stared. I felt his gaze on me even after I looked back to Griffin and his dear old friend. They started to talk about something that didn’t interest me so I zoned out quickly.

After a few minutes someone cleared their throat beside me. I quickly turned my head to see the Prince standing there. “Lady Abigail,” he smiled softly.

I bowed my head slightly; I don’t know what do to.

“Would you like to dance?”

I froze. He is asking to dance with me?

“I’d be honoured to.”

Did I just say that out loud?

He held out his hand and I placed mine in it. I hope that all those years of ballroom dance I took when I was ten will pay off for me. I had to take them to continue on with jazz, tap, and ballet. He brought me to the middle of the room and everyone moved off to the side in order for us to have room.

Okay, now I am really scared.

Before we started we bowed at each other then at his parents and Griffin. Griffin looked scared and I was on the inside. Was I allowed to do this? Well, the Prince asked me, so maybe I was allowed.

When he put his hand back under mine and his other hand on my back, we started to dance. The music started with us and I couldn’t believe I didn’t step on his foot. I wasn’t even trying that hard, but I somehow knew what he was doing and therefore I knew what to do. I was scared that I was dancing properly.

After a minute the other people started to dance around us and I became less nervous.

After the song was over, a new one started and the Prince led me out of the room and out into the court yard. I looked back to Griffin but he wasn’t paying any attention to what I was doing and I was afraid. What did this Prince want with a silly girl like me?

We walked through the garden in silence and it was slightly chilly outside. Then we came across a table and chairs and he helped me sit down.

After he sat down he took his hands in mine and looked at me with a soft smile. I mean, yea he’s attractive but I can’t date him or something right? Do Prince’s even date?

“Lady Abigail,” he started.

I stopped him out of habit and mentally slapped myself after, “please call me Abbie.”

He chuckled and I let out a breath of air I was holding because of my nerves. My stomach had dinosaurs dancing around in it.

“Abbie,” He started again. “I have fallen for you upon our first meeting.”

Oh this isn’t good.

“You’re beauty overwhelms me and I wish that I could see you every day.”

Where is he going with this?

“Would you please do I the honour and marry me?”

Oh this really isn’t good.