Damian ~ It's My Fault (X-Vigilante! Reader)

Start from the beginning

I paused as I heard him mutter something to himself, my eyes darting around the darkened hall. 

"What's wrong? What happened? Where are you?" I asked. There was another grunt, followed by a stuttered string of curses that sent my nerves a bit on edge. 

"Just. . . don't get any closer," he answered back, letting out a cough. "Get out of here, before you get hurt." 

"I'm not just going to leave you here!" I called, shaking my head. "Robin, where are you?" 

"(Y/S/N), just get out of here!" He replied. I hesitated for a moment before shaking my head again, pushing away from the wall as I continued on down the hall. Whether he liked it or not, I was going to get him out of here. All I had to do was find him, and then we'd get out of here, safe and sound; together. 

I was finally able to pick up the sound of his heavy breathing as I neared a stack of dented filing cabinets, and I wasted no time in using my good arm to push them over, ignoring the pain in both my arm and ankle as I threw them out of the way. 

"Oh, my God. . . " I breathed, my heart falling into my stomach. 

"I told you to get out of here," he whispered, closing his eyes as he rested his head back against the crumbling wall behind him. I could already feel the rears spilling down my cheeks as I rushed toward him, falling to my knees beside him. 

"W. . . How. . . What happened?" I whispered, my masked eyes widening at the sight of his wounds. He was fastened to the wall by three long, sharp pieces of rebar protruding from his abdomen. The metal poles were slicked with blood, bent and burned from the explosion. It was sickening to see it, just jutting out of his stomach. I had to get them out. 

I tried using what little strength I had left to pull them out, but every time I touched one of them, Robin would scream, which only made the tears in my eyes regenerate even faster. I knew that I was hurting him; I knew that he was in pain, but I had to get them out. I had to help him. I had to save him. 

"(Y/S/N), stop," he finally grunted, placing a gloved hand on my shoulder. I threw it off, shaking my head violently as I looked up into his masked eyes, which were shimmering with tears. 

"N-No, I can do it!" I exclaimed, choking out a sob. "I can save you! Just give me more time! I can -" Robin reached up toward me again and placed his hand on my cheek, causing me to stop speaking. I placed my hand on top of his own, squeezing my eyes shut as I began sobbing uncontrollably. I moved closer to Robin, turning so that I was fully facing him. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my tears slipping through my mask and onto his bloodied suit. "I'm so sorry. It's my fault; it's all my fault. If I hadn't come here, you wouldn't have. . . " I slowly looked between the two of his eyes, which were slowly starting to glaze over with an emptiness that made me sick to my stomach. It was too soon; there were still so many things that I wanted us to do together, so many missions we would be partnered up on. There were still so many things I hadn't told him. 

"I need you to do something for me, okay?" I croaked, dragging a gloved hand over my cheek as I tried to wipe away my tears. 

"Anything," he murmured back, giving me a weak, crooked smile. 

"Take it off," I said, leaning down toward him. He furrowed his brows, searching my face curiously. 

"Take what off?" I let a sigh slip through my nose as I closed my eyes, using my own hand to lead his over to the edge of my mask. I heard him gasp lightly as his fingers curled around mine, an unsure hum emenating from his throat. 

"Are you sure?" He asked. I nodded. 

"Please," I whispered, letting out another sob, "just do it." I felt him hesitate for a moment before his other hand came to rest on my cheek, his fingers running along the edge of my mask. I lowered my head a bit, my bangs falling over my eyes as I felt him curl his fingers under the material, slowly pulling it away from my face. I lowered my head even further when I heard a gasp slip through his lips, though his hand under my chin forced me to look back up to him.