chapter twenty four: trust

~

Alex and Lorna walks out of the elevator, and it seems to Alex that he's been away for over a year of not seeing Melody for a week straight. He traveled all the way from Los Angeles back to Chicago with Lorna on road. They did talked about their relationship, yet Alex often exits out of every conversation Lorna tries to make.

Before Alex could even knock on the ivory door, Psylocke had already slid it open with a livid look, gritting her teeth visibly to show her fuming anger. "Where are they, Havoc?!" She asks, her voice shaking. The pissed woman pushes Alex, gripping at his collar shirt.

Lorna watches the scene in front of her, confused.

"What're you talking about, Psylocke?" Alex mutters, making a violet glow seep out of Psylocke's left hand.

Psylocke intrude inside the blonde's mind to see if he knew anything about Warren taking Melody out after she left. Nothing.

The woman steps aback, letting go of Alex as he looks at her worried. "I'm sorry, that was just an outburst." She says, looking terribly paranoid.

Alex smiles warily, "it's alright."

Silence steps between the three as they stare at the floor for a moment, embracing what just happened.

The elevator dings behind them, catching all of their attention. Warren was the first one to get off, and the last was Melody with an amused grin plastered on her face.

Warren was first to notice they've been watching them since they arrived.

Psylocke stands between Alex and Lorna, as Lorna looks like the third person again.

"Hey Alex. Didn't knew you could arrive that early." Warren jokes, receiving no laugh from everyone but a scowl. He looks at the female visitor, snorting how she crossed her arms. "Look, we didn't do anything stupid. I swear to God."

Psylocke irks an eyebrow, clenching her fists on her side. She wasn't attempting to read his mind, nor Melody's. She was gonna act like a human girl friend would, she's just gonna let karma do its job.

"Alex!" Melody cuts the silence, stepping in front of the blonde and glanced over at Lorna. She pulls him into a hug, as he hugs back and glares at Warren.

"We need to talk," Psylocke rushes to her lover, dragging him back to the elevator.

"Oh God," Warren mutters, trying to stop Psylocke from pressing a button but the doors were already closing.

Lorna, Alex, and Melody were the only ones left in the floor.

"You must be Polaris," Melody beams at the green-haired mutant, sticking out her hand for a handshake. "I'm-"

"Universa." Lorna cuts her off.

"I was gonna say Melody..." The brunette mutters.

Polaris fidgets from her position, towering Melody's small height that she feels like a supermodel.

Alex watches the two with a stored breath in his lungs, hoping they'd get along like what he expected.

Lorna smirks down at the teenager before shaking her hand at once. "Call me Lorna, dear."

Lorna.

Melody's eyes blink and connected to Lorna's grey ones, feeling a little deja vu.

She swears she heard that name before, somewhere in her drained memories.

Lorna knew the girl was trying to find where she first heard her familiar name. "So, you wanna know the goddess of the universe?"

Melody snorts before chuckling, shaking off the eye contact. "Y-Yes. And thank you for coming."

Lorna looks beyond, at Alex. He was the only reason she came, not Melody, not everyone else but the guy she once lost.

Alex kindly opens the door and say, "ladies first."

The two women steps inside.

Alex cringes at himself awkwardly of thinking about how his ex-girlfriend and future-girlfriend are in the same room with him.

~

"How did you met Universa?" Melody asks, fidgeting in the living room sofa. "Was she good, or bad?"

Lorna looks down at her crossed-lap, resting her elbow at the armchair of the loveseat. "Sadly, I don't quiet remember." She says. "But, I do remember a little.

"To inform you first, Universa often shapeshifts into human disguises.

It was 1963, and somewhere at a night bar in Los Angeles, my friends and I were having a girls' night out."

Lorna gazed at Alex, who stood still at their front.

"It was also the night where I met the guy who made my heart, insane."

Melody looks away, and thinking she should've read her mind instead of interviewing her. Later on she's gonna regret barging in Lorna's mind anyway, her and Alex's kissing scenes were just so heartbreaking and disgusting.

"And then a green-haired stripper talked to me. I immediately befriended her, since I also have the same color of hair, but mine was dyed brown for the mean time.

She mingled with me for an hour, talking about how her life was difficult than every one else's. And that stripper turned out to be the mother of all mothers."

"Okay..." Melody says, reclining to her seat. "Next question: what do you know about her?"

Lorna gave the awaiting girl a trustful smile. "She's dominative, especially to us mutants." She could barely control her dread about whether Universa's gonna visit her again. "But now that she's caged up in your body, we finally got the equality we deserve."

Don't trust whatever she says, Melody. Universa spoke.

Melody chose to ignore, looking back at Lorna.

But why would Lorna say that?

Does this mean she despises Universa, because she feared her?

Melody has been thinking about the New Orleans scenario in her mind, was that even real, or was only made up?

Sigh, she can't really trust anybody these days, not even her own self.

~

I honestly love The Gifted.