Strange happenings

Chapter1: Strange Happenings 

As the portal opened the summoners gasped as two figures fell out, stone dead. A woman and a man. It was very rare to find humans within the ether. Only those that have come ready with special suits dared to enter because of course, anyone who entered without one died. Yet these figures were quite strange, it seemed as if they had not died from ether shock. It rather seemed that they had died from starvation, their stomachs had shrunken inwards and their limbs looked as thin as sticks.

As the summoners rushed forward to inspect the bodies a little lump moved from the clothes of the woman. The summoners jumped back, alarmed, what foul miserable demon was this? That which lives on the breast of a woman? Suddenly the lump started crawling out of the woman's clothes. It had quite a big head and as it finally got out, it looked at them with it's huge eyes. It was a baby! But how had it survived?

Now the summoners became wary of the little details about the figures. They had quite a rare skin colour, it was yellowy orange and was only seen in the rarest parts of Hominum. In fact it was so very uncommon that only a few sightings have been heard of. The mother and father were both obviously commoners or rather the lower levels of the hierarchy for their clothes had been made from one of the cheaper fabrics.

The boy had a letter clipped to the back of his brown swaddle, it was clipped by a small hand-made clipper which was bent awkwardly at places as if it had been used many times to serve different purposes. The Summoners walked forward cautiously and one of them took the note. The note itself said in an untidy handwriting "This is out child Yang-Jian James Zhou, please, look after him. He must be taught with a good education. He must achieve what we cannot, we are not from this world but we want our child to survive under the best conditions. Tell him when we love him."

Then the note ran out of space. The summoners looked to and fro from the note to the child. After a long debate, it was finally decided that he be raised in an orphanage, only a mile down the road from the training grounds that the summonera were using. It was Harry who finally took the child, for he was the first one to take the note and one of the few summoners who had a nice peraonality. Harry was a commoner but he exceeded most of the others by quite a bit of hardworking and determination.

 Harry had fantasized about keeping the boy, but it just wouldn't be practical. It would be too dangerous for the boy as Harry had little time to be at home looking after the child and if the child wandered around the house and mayhaps unleashed a demon or accidently knocked over one of his magical potions... the results could be catstophic. Harry had no experience whatsoever of looking after a child and if he died in battle or training, he knew... there would be no-one to save Yang-Jian.