Ending

3 months later...

Things have been calm these past months. It felt like yesterday we had arrived at this place. A foreign and yet really cozy shelter, far from the chaos of the world. The cabin has many rooms to sleep in, two large bathrooms, and a kitchen with a small pantry.

During these weeks, we rationed our food in the pantry. The snow had started falling, eventually covering the forest in a blanket of white. We also learned to hunt for food in the forest from Cindy. She was a scout when she was younger, and surprisingly can still remember how to tie knots and start a fire. But we didn't have to do much of that since we had proper place to sleep in.

Back when we'd just arrived at this place, we all decided to take a shower because we'd spent two days on the road running and fighting. Phineas got to go first since he reeked of blood and sweat and soot. Genna and Cindy got to take the other bathroom. Simon went around the house, looking for anything to keep ourselves warm for the night. When we were all done showering, we changed into clean clothing. After that, we flopped onto the bed, tired and exhausted.

I woke up the next morning, having dreamt that the zombies had eaten everyone I knew. We all ate our breakfast in silence. Later, we discussed our plan on staying alive until the help that Cindy promised comes along. We assigned each other tasks to do so that we wouldn't kill ourselves along the way. We worked together and managed to stay alive. And during that time, we waited and waited, for help that may or may not arrive.

Simon accompanies me to get some water for our meal later in the evening. A few weeks back, the water didn't come up through the pipes and the water tank was already empty. There wasn't any leakage, the water had been cut off. On the way there, we passed an archery range and a tall lookout tower.

"Hey, did you here that?" asked Simon. Genna stayed silent, listening and looking for whatever he'd heard. Maybe it was just some wild animal prowling around the forest. He carefully raised his rifle gun that he found in the basement. Apparently, it was Cindy's father who liked to hunt in the area. She had mentioned that he brought her along to teach her to kill some game.

Seconds pass, no movement of any kind was seen. "Lets just continue onwards. I'm sure its nothing." Genna waved it off and walked up the hill. We reached the small stream when we heard the snapping of leaves and twigs on the ground. Both of us turn around, feeling wary. There's definitely something following us now. But the sound had not come again. He raised his weapon, prepared for anything.

Genna is knocked to the ground and loses her grip on the container. She thought it was a zombie, instead she found a human face staring back. She pinning her to the ground. Her long, dark brown hair almost covered her whole face. She positioned her knife at Genna's throat. Simon aimed his gun at her and hesitated, scared that he might accidentally shoot Genna.

"What are you two doing here?!"

"Woah, woah. Stop right there lady, or I will shoot you." She looked up and sneered at him.

"Oh, will you now? I will slice faster than you can pull the trigger. Do you even know how to use that thing?" She teased, but Simon kept his ground and held the gun tighter. "Put the gun down, unless you want your friend here to be sliced open like a pig."

Don't do it. She's going to kill me either way.

Simon slowly laid his gun to the snow. "Kick it over," she ordered. He obeyed.

"Look, we don't want any trouble here. We're on the same side here, trying to survive. Just let her go. We  came to get some water, that's all. We can help each other through this."

She laughed. "You think I need anyone's help? You are so naive. I want your food and weapons. Those are the only things that can help me survive. And you're gonna lead me to wherever your camp is. Now."

She grabbed the gun and loosened her grip on my arm. She pulled me up with her, but she held the gun against me, holding me hostage.

"Okay, then. Lead the way." Simon walked back the way we came. Towards the house, and our friends.

We reach the house and entered through the back door. I look around for any sign of my friends, but there was no sound of voices or footsteps. Thank god for that. But where on earth are they? 

"Go get the food and put it in a bag. I don't want it weighing me down. Also, NO TRICKS." He went over to the kitchen while she sat on the living room couch, still holding her gun up. 

"You don't have to do this..." said Genna.

"What does it matter right now? You don't know me. So shut the hell up!" Just then, sounds of crashing came from where Simon was. "Hey, you better not be messing about there."

She slowly walked toward the kitchen. I used that moment to pounce on her. I wrapped my fingers around her neck and held it down with all my strength. She gave a strangled squeak, struggling to pull my hands away. We collapsed to the floor, and she lay still. I checked for a pulse, and felt a soft beating. She's just passed out. What was Simon doing anyway?

I quickly walk to the kitchen area, hearing nothing but dead silence. I open the pantry door to find Cindy and Phineas whispering to each other with Simon in the corner. "What are you guys doing?"

Phineas came out and gave me a big bear hug. "Thank goodness you're fine. We have to leave right away."

Genna looked at him confused. "Why? Did something happen? If its because of the girl we can just tie her up and leave her in the basement."

Cindy shook her head. She said, "The fencing has been broken into. We were checking the perimeter and found someone had cut a hole in the fence. Likely it was the girl that attacked you. And that's not the only thing, we ran into a few zombies that have come in."

Oh, no. Why did it have to be like this? "We can still patch the fence up and kill the ones that have come in. Also, we still have to wait for help to arrive." Genna tried to reason with them, but they didn't want to listen.

Cindy replied, "We don't enough materials to fix it. I'm sorry, but I dont think back up is going to come anytime soon. Probably never."

I felt disappointed for having so much hope on others to rescue us. "Why don't we leave a note? In case someone does come looking for us," Simon suggested. Phineas then went over to the wooden table, pulled out his knife and carved into it. It said 'SORRY MOVE ON.'

He then turned to us and said, "Let's get going, shall we?" My thoughts went back to her. "What about the girl? She's passed out in the living area."

"Just leave her. We have to gather our supplies and head out before the storm hits." A sudden hit at the window startled all of us. A zombie was banging against the glass. Phineas pulled out his gun and shot it through the glass. The glass broke but it continued to stand. He shot it a few more times until it went down.

"Is he dead yet?" Genna asked, afraid he might get up again.

"You bet your ass he is."

-

(A/N: hello everyone! Thanks for reading my story. I really appreciate the support and reads. This is the end for our fellow protagonists and their journey, for now. If I feel like it, I would like to continue to write more for this story. Unfortunately, I'm busy with assignments. Anyway, thanks for the memories ;)) and hope u guys enjoyed the chapter)