Chapter Ten

"I—" Lisa stumbled before she could even utter the next few words, her legs finally giving out from beneath her, which sent her crumpling down onto the grass, "I don't think I want to do this anymore."

She saw long red hair from the corner of her eyes, Ginny Weasley crouching down to help her as Angelina started blowing on her whistle maniacally, which was a signal for her to get back up. The fourth year girl offered her hand, Lisa taking it gratefully. Ginny helped dust off her clothes once she was up, a light smile on her face, "That looked like rough landing there."

"No, it's—" Lisa paused momentarily, trying to catch her breath before speaking again, "The grass is as soft as a cushion. I'm fine."

"Five more laps, ladies!" Angelina hollered from across the pitch, making Lisa huff, "I can't take it anymore!"

"Tough luck! You're going to have to."

She felt like crying. "What did I get myself in to? I thought were supposed to only race with brooms in Quidditch? Not run the whole bloody perimeter ten million times."

"Ten." Ginny corrected, "Ten times."

"Still feels like it." she muttered, moving to sit down on the grass when Angelina blew on her whistle yet again, "Five more laps!"

The other beater, Andrew Kirke, jogged towards them, flashing the two a sly wink, "You heard the captain. Off you go."

"Shut your trap, Kirke." Ginny retorted, "Lisa needs a moment."

"Aww," he said, "I didn't think Quidditch princesses needed a moment. The way Angelina boasted about you, I would have thought you were better than this."

"I said shut your trap," Ginny scoffed yet again, "Mind your own business."

"Looks like I have to be the competent beater now..." he sighed dramatically, before heading back his way. Lisa frowned, watching the boy grow out of earshot, "He's quite a pompous git, isn't he?"

"He did marvelous in his tryouts, though. Won Angelina's favor and all. Ofcourse nobody would have expected him to be such an ass." the youngest Weasley tutted, "Well come on, then. Let's finish our rounds. The next bit after's going to be fun."

She had a pleading look on her face, Ginny countering it with an encouraging one, making her cave in, picking her pace back up into a jog.

By the time she had finished all her laps, a water break was inevitable, despite Andrew adamantly insisting that there was absolutely no need. Lisa was parched, and couldn't help but feel loathing towards the boy that she was supposed to work with.

After water break, Angelina had delivered a fairly long speech about Quidditch. Though inspiring, it was also a bit too boring for Lisa's taste, and found herself wondering what dessert they were going to have for dinner. Once she had gotten the indication that the newest additions to her team were not listening, she cleared her throat, and decided to get everyone up in the air, the flying portion commencing.

Lisa had forgotten most of the flying tactics that she had been taught at little league, and comforted herself with the fact that it had definitely been years since, and, naturally, she would have forgotten how it was supposed to go.

Clutching the handle of her shimmering Comet 290, which her parents had so graciously gifted her over the school week (after she had told them over and over that she did not want them to buy them a firebolt, as she did not trust herself with a sodding expensive broom.), she kicked off of the ground, and felt herself hovering five feet in the air.