Chapter 13

As we neared the end of the aquarium, I felt my phone vibrate in my bag. For the first time since we began our walk around the tanks, I was brought back to what felt like reality. I excused myself from Tris, who squeezed my hand before letting go. "I might nip to the men's room actually," he said, pointing over to the toilets, "meet me back here in 5?"

I smiled and nodded, as we parted ways for the first time all day. As we did so, I took out my phone from my bag and saw that I had a new message from Mary.

hey girly! hope you're enjoying the aquarium! everything's ok back here, your parents think you're at revision until about 5/6ish, so you'll be fine ;) love ya! xxxxxxx 

I felt my eyebrows furrow as I tried to figure out how she knew where we were, and then I realised. Mary was included in the small selection of people who knew about my weird bucket list item, and Tris followed Mary on twitter. That allowed him access to DM her and ask for ideas that I'd like.. That sneaky- 

I typed out my reply.

awh thank you! butttttt how did you know we were at the aquarium?;)xxxxxxx 

Her reply was instant; one of the best qualities about her.

have you not seen his insta pic? he posted it about two hours ago, it's your hand against a tank full of fish! and i may or may not have helped him out.. ;) now get on with your date! love ya xxxxxx 

As I put my phone back into my bag, I try to think back to two hours ago. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember the sound of a camera shutter.. I turned around to face the toilet door as I heard it open. There was Tristan, smiling as he approached me. "Hello again." He said as he kissed my cheek. "Ready to get something to eat?"

"'Course, I'm starving!" I said as I held his hand once again and we began walking down to the aquariums restaurant.

"Who was that?" he asked, and I liked to imagine that there was a hint of jelousy in his tone.

"Just Mary, updating me on college work I'm missing out on."

"Ah well, you're having more fun with me." Once again, he squeezed my hand. I couldn't disagree, and his confidence gave me confidence too.

*** 

"Thank you for coming to Plymouth Aquarium, please come again!" The woman at the front desk enthusiastically showed us through the exit, he gleaming white teeth showing as she spoke.

"Thanks." Tris spoke on behalf of us both, and I smiled in addition to show I agreed. It saddened me that we had to leave, but my aching feet and tired legs told me that it wasn't all a bad thing. The air outside had gotten cold, and I felt goosebumps rise on my bare legs. Tristan placed his arm over my shoulders and walked very close next to me, as if he were cold too and wanted to preserve our body heat.

As we turned the corner to return to the car, a group of about eight or nine girls came into view. As we got closer, they turned to face us. As they did so, every single pair of eyes lit up and grew into a wide shocked face. Some hands rose to gaping mouths, and feet started jumping off of the ground. Tristan must have seen this as soon as I did, as his arm was immediatley removed from it's warm and protective position around me.

"Oh no.." I heard him sigh, before the girls started towards us. He stopped in his tracks, and so I did the same. The girls had now got phones or camers in their hands, and it became apparent that they were either already taking photos or filming. "Carry on to the car." Tristan said, before walking up to the girls. 

I watched as I followed his instructions. The girls had now bombarded him, surrounding him. I couldn't process what was happening. I pulled my jacket tight around my torso, and continued on through the car park gates. Behind me, I heard screams and wails, and pounding feet. The last addition of sound caught me by surprise, and I turned my head back in Tristan's direction to see what was going on. 

The group of girls had now multiplied. There were about thirty girls now standing around him; I could only make Tris out from his height. His blonde hair shone in the fading sunlight, and every now and again I could see his face pose for pictures. As I was staring, a pair of eyes spotted mine, and the girl they belonged to began to whisper into the ear of her friend. 

I looked down at the floor and speed-walked straight up to Tristan's car. I stood leaning against the side, hoping that the girls wouldn't pursue me, and took a deep breath. I dropped my bag next to me and brushed my hair out of my face. What is going on..